ANOTHER mantis shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was watching my tank today and I heard it... the dreaded clicking of shrimp claws on rock. I've got another mantis shrimp. I made a trap out of a plastic coke bottle, so far I've only managed to catch a snail, a peppermint, my pseudochromis, and a hermit. Seems it's catching everything BUT the mantis. So, I was wondering if they're any better traps out there to make? (or buy?) that would specifically target a mantis. I found my last one by taking the rocks out one by one and shaking them violently in freshwater. But seeing as i've got about 80lbs now, It's not very practical.

Practical or not...if you really do have a mantis you need to get it out asap before it murders all in your tank. What have you added to get another mantis? Are you not QT'ing your rocks?

I assume it's the rock. I added the first batch and cycled the tank with it, then the second batch came from another tank, which I dipped in fresh water and found the first shrimp. This time, I let the rock cycle in a Rubbermaid tub before adding it. It could have been an egg or larvae tucked away in a crevice. I just don't want to tear my tank down.

I say keep trying the trap you have until you find some thing else, don't give up...

I had a mantis many years ago & I got lucky (at least I think I did) and saw it move across the rock it was in. I grabbed the rock and pulled it out and smashed it with a hammer, caught the shrimp and put back the pieces. I never tried this trap but I looked at it while back & thought it might be worth a try if I ever got another.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/xterminator-mantis-shrimp-trap.html

I had a mantis many years ago & I got lucky (at least I think I did) and saw it move across the rock it was in. I grabbed the rock and pulled it out and smashed it with a hammer, caught the shrimp and put back the pieces. I never tried this trap but I looked at it while back & thought it might be worth a try if I ever got another.
X-Terminator Mantis Shrimp Trap

for $9 i'll certainly try it.

Back
Top Bottom