Another metal halide question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i have always heard that corals wont do well under anything less than a 10,000k bulb. On hellolights.com they recommend 6,500k for SPS and 20,000k for soft deepwater corals. Does this mean that if i have 20,000k bulbs then i wont be able to keep SPS successfuly?

Nope, the spectrum of the bulb is pretty much personal preference. The higher the K rating the bluer they look and also the less intense, so if a 6500K 175W would work, and you want to use a 20K bulb, you ight consider upping it to a 250W.

The best growth is repoerted with 6500K bulbs the best coloration is reported with higher K rated bulbs.

Hmmm depends alot on the configuration of the bulbs you get though. Even though a 6500K will give you a more yellowish look you can balance that out with a blue spectrum bulb. RR is right on the bulb kelvins a 20K wont give you better growth but will give a better look. Unless you use in conjunction of different bulb configurations.

Well i had pretty much decided on a 250 watt with 20,000k bulbs but now i think i may reconsider and go with the 175 watt 6500k and save a little money ;)

Well it looks to me like the cheapest way to go is with the 250 watt because on hellolights.com build it yourself retrofit the 175watt 6500k bulbs are higher than the 250 10,000k bulbs. Unless i could possibly get the bulbs cheaper from someplace else.

If you use the 6500k bulbs, actinic supplementation will help with the "look" of the tank. If you're looking to do this as cheap as possible, and you're sure you want 6500k bulbs, you might look into using the Iwasaki bulbs...they will fire on a mercury vapor ballast.

Back
Top Bottom