Another perc or a firefish for my 10gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ammonia and everything is finally completely gone. I don't think I did a good enough cycle the first time. Anyways I am wanting to add one more fish. This will be it for this tank also.

I already have one percula clown and I am trying to decide if I should get another perc or a firefish. Firefish would add some more diversity to a tank with none...but would my clown benefit with another clown?

you could do either I guess.

Don't really know the pros and cons of either except percs like groups apparently.

I've got a perc and a 3 stripe damsel in a 10 and they are fine.

I'd add the perc, they like to be in pairs. Keep in mind that your tank will be fully stocked at 2 fish.

If you add a new clown now they will probably fight...... You need to add them at the same time. You may get lucky but I would not take a chance in a small tank.
Can you take the other one back and get 2 new very small ones?

either that or get another that is larger than the one you currently have. That MAY work.

QuarryShark said:
get another that is larger than the one you currently have

Hmmm... I thought that getting a very small one would all but "guarantee" (I know I know there are no guarantees, lol) that you'd end up with a male/juvi. Will the one in your tank turn fem if left alone or do they need the presence of another to bother changing at all?

You are correct Phyll, if you decide to get a second percula get one that is smaller than the one you currently have, if you have a male already it will change into a female and the new one will be the male. Once they go female they cannot change back to male though. Good luck, Skip

Would a firefish be fine? A perc wouldn't fight with it?

I don't know if I could arrange a trade with the LFS or not.

I plan on a pair of percs, a firefish, and a royal gramma in my 38 gallon. So either way I will end up with another perc and such. I guess I could go ahead and get the firefish for the 10 gallon. Do you think 2 percs could be added at separate times to a 38 gallon?

Also is it normal to have 0 nitrates? I have no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates...ph is 8.2 and salinity is 1.023. I know most people on here have at least some nitrates. I have the cheesiest cheap setup I have seen on here. That aquarium is one of those wal-mart 10 gallon deals. With a HOB filter, and tap water I expected some nitrates.

Any idea how I managed this? Or should I expect a spike as time goes on?

seen on here. That aquarium is one of those wal-mart 10 gallon deals
Hey there buddy dont dis the walmart aqua culture ten gallon tank.. I have one. tis my pride and joy.

Its working for a buddy and I quite well. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 10gal_646.jpg
    10gal_646.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 113
  • clown0.jpg
    clown0.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 29gal.jpg
    29gal.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 106
I agree that a smaller juvenile perc should be added. Adding a new clown that is bigger might cause some issues because your existing clown might of gone thru the sex change and became a female. It only takes about a month for a sexually mature clown to turn into a female with no other clowns in the tank. So choose a juvenile clown they are still is sexually immature.

As for firefish, IMO they are boring and seem to have almost no personality when compared to a perc or an ocellaris. I almost regret getting my firefish but it does add some diversity to the tank

Back
Top Bottom