Another Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In a 55 gallon fowlr, if i buy a quality protein skimmer, some powerheads, and have LR and Live sand do i still need a hang on filter? Thanks!

I think the question was referring to having filtration at all. Guessing you just want to keep the tank with a skimmer for filtration? I know some people who chose to only use a skimmer and have success. Good flow is essential however the LR will house the BB to break down ammonia into nitrite and eventually into nitrate. The skimmer will eliminate the nitrate organics... To an extent... You will want to add a phosphate reactor to this system regardless.

HOBs and canisters normally do more harm than good. I always recommend a sump coupled with a skimmer. So many options come with a sump from micro filtration, reactors, refugiums, to having the added water volume.

Considered the HOB aquaclear refugium DIY mod? YouTube it! :)

I think the question was referring to having filtration at all. Guessing you just want to keep the tank with a skimmer for filtration? I know some people who chose to only use a skimmer and have success. Good flow is essential however the LR will house the BB to break down ammonia into nitrite and eventually into nitrate. The skimmer will eliminate the nitrate organics... To an extent... You will want to add a phosphate reactor to this system regardless.

HOBs and canisters normally do more harm than good. I always recommend a sump coupled with a skimmer. So many options come with a sump from micro filtration, reactors, refugiums, to having the added water volume.

Considered the HOB aquaclear refugium DIY mod? YouTube it! :)

honestly, I haven't considered much of anything! I was torn between a biocube hqi reef and a 55 fowlr. I ordered the hqi and it came broken. I took it as a sign and decided I'd give a go at the 55. So now I'm pretty lost. I've done a lot of research and read the complete idiot's guide to saltwater aquariums. I'm overwhelmed!

You'll get it. Just be patient. Go slowly. And research one thing at a time.

Back
Top Bottom