Another Refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon aquarium and I would like to add a refugium to my set -up just so I can gain the knowledge of plumbing and the know how and to add water volume. I am not tryin to set up a sump/fuge because i currently have a fluval filter. I have a ten gallon tank lying around and i would like to use that as the refugium. I know that if i was gonna have a sump that i would need a water pump that could pump 300gph but since I already have a filter can i use a weaker pump and what is the weakest pump i can use. can i have the water from the display go straight into the refugium

How are you going to get the water from the tank go into the fuge? Then you want to pump the water from the fuge back into the tank with the pump?
Most try and gravity feed the water from the fuge into the tank, but a pump will work. The pump size needs to be able to keep up with the water from the tank, so if your tank is draining 300gph into the fuge you need a pump to keep up with that other wise the fuge will over flow.
Tell us more on how you plan to get water from the tank into the fuge..... A 2 pump system is not a good idea at all.......
Not sure where you got the 300gph number from either.....

I am currently getting a fuge ready for my 28 gal and am using a rio 2100 pump as a return. Dont worry about the GPH ratings for the pumps. What you need to worry about is the GPH at the head height you have(about 4 ft). The rio is rated for 600+ gph and 300+ at 4 ft. Water will normally travel directly to a chamber in the refuge by way of an overflow box on the tank(no pump needed). I also am using a separate filter for water flow but am taking advantage of the refuges new water flow. Normally you look for 10x turnover for a FO and approx 20x or more for reef setups. HTH

I think my question is do i still need a 20x turnover if I already have a fluval filter. Im goin to have a hang on back overflow to get the water out. I just wanna add a refugium (10gal) for more water volume and pod growth. If i dont need the 20x turnover then i'll just get a cheaper water pump but if i do need the 20x turnover then i'll get the more expenssive pump. I plan on having a reef tank.

You will still need the 20x turnover but you can include your filter in with that. Just remember that the flow it is rated for will not be the true outlet flow due to filters and such slowing flow as dirt builds up. My filter returns the flow much like a powerhead so it gives good water movement as well.

In a fuge you want slow water flow in and out of the tank...... So as long as you can control the water going into with the pump you have pumping it out you will be fine. So IMO you do not have to worry about the 10x or 20x GPH in your main tank if you already have flow from another filter.

thanks seaham. i think you answered my question better i think. so how do i control the water to have slower water?

Back
Top Bottom