Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Another RO question

Hi all,

I got a unit like this one off ebay from aquasafecanada. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I hooked it up as suggested but I did not put it under a sink and currently I am not using the 4 gal container that came with it. It has a tube coming out of the DI filter into a final carbon stage. Do you really need this final carbon filter for a reef tank setup? It has 2 outputs(1 to the storage tank and 1 for an icemaker,etc) so I had to use a valve to block one off.

Right now I am using another valve to block the output to trigger the auto shut off. Any problems doing this? I am currently just filling a rubbermaid container.

Also, could I fill the storage container and then take it upstairs and put it under the kitchen sink and then use the supplied faucet? Then when it went empty, I could just take it back down and fill it up. If this will work I will just leave the final carbon filter.

Just trying to figure this all out I flushed out the pre-ro filters per the instructions and I mad about 20 gal of RO/DI water that I will discard. Should be able to make some more water tonight and I will test the TDS.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do you really need this final carbon filter for a reef tank setup?
No that is typically used to remove any flavor to the water for drinking.

Quote:
Right now I am using another valve to block the output to trigger the auto shut off. Any problems doing this? I am currently just filling a rubbermaid container.
Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Also, could I fill the storage container and then take it upstairs and put it under the kitchen sink and then use the supplied faucet? Then when it went empty, I could just take it back down and fill it up. If this will work I will just leave the final carbon filter.
Mine only has one tube that goes to it, serves for both in and out, since the tank is pressurized, I don't see why you couldn't, but it would be a pain to go to all that trouble, seem easier to set it up under the sink you want to use it under

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got the Aquasafe one too. I hooked it up lastnight and ran about 10gallons so far to flush it out.. My tap water tested at about 330ppm with the TDS meter they sold me. So far the RO water is testing at about 15ppm. I bypassed the DI part of the system for now.. I plan on using a "t" to plumb it back in for use with tank water only.

Let us know what your TDS readings are! I'm curious.

Thanks,

-Maximo
Old 07-21-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have my tank set up in my basement and the RO unit is in my utility room in the basement. Since the floor has a drain it, I figured this might be a safe place

I just thought about using the RO tank since I had it. I had heard the DI water is good for tea and coffee. Both of which I love Maybe I will just fill a jug and stick it in the fridge.

I am running a fresh batch of water right now and it tested at 1. I think the tap tested at 183.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com