Another Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought #100 of white sterile sand. On it it says contains trace amounts of crystallizes silica. Can I still use this in a new tank?

put vinegar on it.. if it bubbles, it should be ok. if not, it's probably ok anyway, but won't help your pH like aragonite would.

did the vinagar trick and no foam.... :? not so sure i should use it . My daughters sand box needs sand too.

Hate to say it but put that in your daughters sand box and bite the bullet and get some reg. aquarium sand from your lfs. I searched for ever and never found any thing that I could use in my tank except the stuff from the lfs. Now that being said don't buy the "live" sand. It's a big rip off. Just get the dry sand. You can use the "play sand you bought but you will be fighting with your ph constantly I think.

ditto the old castle is argonite and will slowly buffer ph over time.

One rumor about silica sand is that it can be a bit too abrasive for sand-burrowing critters like certain snails, crabs, etc... I haven't verified this, but it does make sense to me..

hth

I'm from central New York, I found Old Castle at Chase Pitkins. I know they have stores in Western and Central NewYork, not to sure how far East they extend.

It took me about 6 hours of covering all the hardware/garden stores. I carried a small bottle of vinegar and tested right at the store..

Back
Top Bottom