another shark question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is really getting anoying. Would you just drop the shark issue. Even the smallest of sharks will need a tank of at least 180 gal and will have special needs. Preference for a circular tank and a tank that wider/longer vs short/deep.

In a serious effort to find info for you on this dolphin shark all I found was this.

http://www.unique-gifts.shoppingguides.org/Dolphin-Shark-Shakers.html

I suggest you contact exoticmarinefish and find out the latin name for this shark. Then you can research based upon the latin name vs a common name.

Okay, I did a search on google and all I found was some stupid dolphin and shark salt and pepper shakers. I am not sure how to make this any clearer...SHARKS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THE HOME AQUARIUM, ESPECALLY FOR SOMEONE WITH LITTLE TO NO SALTWATER EXPERIENCE!! Everyone agrees with you in the fact that sharks are awesome creatures and amazing to watch. But there are many, many, many other cool things much better suited for a home aquarium. I see you live in Illinois, I sugest you buy a season pass to the Shed Aquarium and visit sharks there. See if they offer any "behind-the-scenes" tours or classes so you can learn just what it takes to keep these creature in captivity.

Too funny. According to his profile, he's a 15 yr old kid with a couple 10 gal tanks. He's taking you all for a ride. Wouldn't you all like to know where he is going to come up with the cash to build this 1500 gal tank he's talking about? He has yet to ask any type of question that any 'normal' aquarium keeper would ask. Why bother even repling to his posts, but looks like I got suckered into this one too.

We (advisors and admins) are fully aware of what this person is doing. At this point its simply inqusitive.

I caution you that some of us dont enjoy being called a sucker.

Don't get all mad because the kids trying to learn. And fishfreak and lando my neighbor keeps 1 nurse shark and 2 banded cat sharks in his 500 gallon tank and he has no special education or anything on sharks except he has a few books on them and some computer research. He said that keeping sharks is much easier then keeping a reef. They are easy to feed and there is no special additives like a reef. He thinks it is just like keeping a fish only tank but a lot bigger. He says the hardest part about his sharks is doing a 125 gallon water change each month and that is easy but time consuming. He has also got is 2 banded cat sharks to bread and he sold the eggs to our LFS. So fishfreak and lando I don't no where you come up with this info. about having to have special knowledge to keep these sharks.

IMO, just because your neighbour is doing it doesn't make it right.

I never said it is right but if pyromaniac wants to have sharks I think he should do it because it is his money and time.

Hey you guys, speaking of sharks, I was wondering if I can keep a bunch of moorish idols and some black tipped sharks together in my 55?

Those salt shakers are cool, man, I ordered 100 of them.

flatzboy said:
Don't get all mad because the kids trying to learn. And fishfreak and lando my neighbor keeps 1 nurse shark and 2 banded cat sharks in his 500 gallon tank and he has no special education or anything on sharks except he has a few books on them and some computer research. He said that keeping sharks is much easier then keeping a reef. They are easy to feed and there is no special additives like a reef. He thinks it is just like keeping a fish only tank but a lot bigger. He says the hardest part about his sharks is doing a 125 gallon water change each month and that is easy but time consuming. He has also got is 2 banded cat sharks to bread and he sold the eggs to our LFS. So fishfreak and lando I don't no where you come up with this info. about having to have special knowledge to keep these sharks.

You have actually already stated that opinion in another thread and the result was the same. It just happens to be under a different user name.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=186303#186303

I never said it is right but if pyromaniac wants to have sharks I think he should do it because it is his money and time

Having the time and money to waste ≠ a successful venture. An animals life should never be reduced to $$.

Cheers
Steve

Heh, well spotted Steve.. I thought something sounded familiar about that neighbour :lol:

flatzboy, Get your facts stright. I didnt say it requred a special ed. I said they had special requirements. Since most are bottom dwellers they dont need a deep tank and I had heard stories about sharks damaging themselves by running into the side glass. Hence a standard shaped tank can be less desiarbale than a more circular tank. Most sharks will prefer a sandy bottom vs a rocky bottom and the desire for a bunch of liverock can be an issue with sharks aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom