Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Another skimmer question

I just hooked up my new asm g2 skimmer and the customer service person said it takes 7-10 days for the skimmer to "break in." I didn't have an opportunity to ask what this meant....but now I'm askin' you folks. What does this mean? Does it mean that it won't be operating at peak efficiency?

I only ask because I've had a couple of problems with my tank recently....

1-I've went without a skimmer for about a week
2-I purchased a clam, that died (within a couple of hours - I removed it shortly after. The clam didn't take the shipping well obviously) I don't think it was in there long enough to effect the water quality.
3-the pump (for the skimmer) arrived broken. I have it hooked up but I had to temporarily use aquarium sealant so the pump would work. Ok, this doesn't have any impact on the water quality-I'm just whining here.
4-after several months of being cyano-free, I've gotten patches of it back

I'm going to run some tests and post them later.

If you can't run with the big dogs - stay on the porch! ***Adopt a retired greyhound ***
MsBeanCtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
No it won't be opperating at peak performance. I think that the first week strips any impurities (oils, lubricants, possible cleaning agents, etc...) associated with the manufacturing or handling of the protein skimmer before it reaches the consumer. It won't be working at peak efficiency at first until this break in time finishes.

I wouldn't worry to much about not having it going yet. Many people keep systems without skimmers and debate exists on the use of skimmers.

Lepomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Read this on the cyano Msbeanctr

As far as the skimmer it will take a week to break in. Your tank will be OK till it does.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com