Another skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just hooked up my new asm g2 skimmer and the customer service person said it takes 7-10 days for the skimmer to "break in." I didn't have an opportunity to ask what this meant....but now I'm askin' you folks. What does this mean? Does it mean that it won't be operating at peak efficiency?

I only ask because I've had a couple of problems with my tank recently....

1-I've went without a skimmer for about a week
2-I purchased a clam, that died (within a couple of hours - I removed it shortly after. The clam didn't take the shipping well obviously) I don't think it was in there long enough to effect the water quality.
3-the pump (for the skimmer) arrived broken. I have it hooked up but I had to temporarily use aquarium sealant so the pump would work. Ok, this doesn't have any impact on the water quality-I'm just whining here.
4-after several months of being cyano-free, I've gotten patches of it back

I'm going to run some tests and post them later.

No it won't be opperating at peak performance. I think that the first week strips any impurities (oils, lubricants, possible cleaning agents, etc...) associated with the manufacturing or handling of the protein skimmer before it reaches the consumer. It won't be working at peak efficiency at first until this break in time finishes.

I wouldn't worry to much about not having it going yet. Many people keep systems without skimmers and debate exists on the use of skimmers.

Back
Top Bottom