Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dont trust a lfs quarantine process!
Buy a cheap fish to start and see how it goes. Add slowly.
A second opinion on teats might be an idea also!
Keep at it. And keep us update!
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
Whether or not they or you QT may or may not be of any significance. How did you acclimate may be a more important question in order to get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
I'm actually thinking along the lines of velvet actually. It can be hard to see on some fish so that might be a culprit.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I just had velvet wipe out my tank and only 2 fish showed real signs. The rest were eating one day, dead the next. Worst thing ever. Not saying that's whats happening here but I wouldn't be surprised.

Did you ever see any spots on any of the fish that died?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I'm actually thinking along the lines of velvet actually. It can be hard to see on some fish so that might be a culprit.

I understand totally where you're headed but just trying to rule out some things that we sometimes overlook. For instance as in this case QT and acclimation as the op was very quick to point out QT and being dubious of the LFS (post 7) here, To quarantine or not to quarantine and the possibility of still being a tank in cycle.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt give up just yet,

I know it seems mean and heartless but sometimes fish die with no apparent reason. You know why the first chromi died so no mystery there, and the second one, well chromis just dont last sometimes, it's just how it goes.
As for the clowns, again, stuff happens that you cant actually place the blame on one thing or another.
Just try again, get a small fish, acclimate him well and over a good amount of time. Check your parameters before adding him and after a few days. I think and believe you just caught some bad luck. I'd be embarassed to say how many fish I have had die on me. Some were my fault and some were not.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Carey, I think you're right. I have always drip acclimated everything. I use salifert and API for my tests. There has never been a mark on them which of course makes things more difficult. Any advice on what I should add next?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just re tested an ammonia is up to 0.25 and nitrate is 5.0 ppm. I think Mr chromis was probably dead for between 14-20 hours. Is this usual?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would say the dead fish shouldnt have had any impact on ammonia so quickly. Think back to cycling, if you used a dead shrimp from the supermarket, how long did it take to start to rot and generate ammonia? A few days at least.

I tried to read up and didnt notice any mention of how and when you cycled the tank. Perhaps you didnt get fully through the cycle? Once a tank is cycled it shouldnt read ammonia pretty much ever again. I;ve had large, and I mean large fish die and had no parameter issues at all. I've had fish that never showed up again and still, even after testing had no ammonia.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is totally normal in a tank where there isn't a bacteria base built up from a cycle. Your fish dying basically became the ammonia source towards that. That is why you are seeing detectable levels. This is also most likely why your fish have continued to die off since ammonia and nitrite are toxic.
My suggestion would be to either:
a. return any current livestock if able to cycle the tank
b. daily testing and water changes to keep up with making the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0 to prevent further deaths
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just tested with salifert and everything is 0. I used shrimp and left it in until it disappeared.

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com