Another unexplained death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But one small fish death in, what I seem to remember being 40 gallons of water, should not create detectable ammonia in the water column. This is where the concern is coming from.

I agree with both of you. The odd thing is I've been testing daily since November when I started cycling. Today I used the API test kits as I had them sitting around and now I have readings!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read what Hank said and spoke to my LFS about taking back the shrimp and snails. They have a no returns policy as they took livestock back once and whatever they had pretty much infected lots of fish. I'm going to try the second option and do water changes and get the levels back to zero. Once I'm back to zeros, what should I do? Thanks for everything so far

Thanks buddy. I plan on 20% WC until they are 0

It does just sound like bad luck, I lost a few fish to ich I gradually killed it off with the uv I got and haven't seen it for a few months maybe try one cheapish fish like Carey said and leave it a few weeks before adding more you'll get there in the end perseverance!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks mate, once the ammonia is down, I'll start again and restock. This is hard work!

Thanks mate, once the ammonia is down, I'll start again and restock. This is hard work!

Just make sure you have your own test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I think this is a situation of just not finished cycling. This way you will know when it is done. Ammonia down, nitrite up. Nitrite down, nitrate up.

I have the API kit and salifert for ammonia, nitrate and nitrate. The confusing thing is both tests give different results ?

While api is usually adequate for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate I prefer the salifert tests only because of their accuracy. How far off are the two tests coming out? Do you have any idea how old the Api tests are? Or the saliferts? I've had the same issue with api and salifert with ammonia....the salifert alwasy comes up clean but the darn API sometimes shows ammonia on tanks that have been set up years, so I dont know lol

There's 48-52 pounds from memory. The salifert is saying 0 and the ammonia is saying between 0 and 25. Both are well in date and the salifert 2016 I think. I used the API brand for a previous tank and always found ammonia difficult to understand

Sorry Mr X, missed the last part. I was feeding one cube of krill or PE mysis over about 8 days

That's my confusion. I work shifts so do test my water at odd times and I've never noticed anything. The fact my API has shown ammonia and the salifert hasn't is the curve ball.

Back
Top Bottom