Anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking into stocking for my 90 gallon and am thinking about some anthias. I am finding a lot of mixed information about these guys. My LFS said they may require feedings 3 times a day. I have read that they can be picky eaters and are not a huge fan of the high lighting of a reef.
I was hoping everyone with some experience keeping these fish could post some information on these fish. I can't find much on this forum and I know some of you have them.
The areas I am most concerned is comparability with fish, coral and inverts. Their required feeding schedule and their difficulty to feed.

Thanks,

Hi Eric,

I have 5 barlett's in my 210 as well as a female purple square. At one time I had a pair of sunbursts in my 60 before it crashed.

I feed from a couple times every other day to once a day depending on time allowed. It's been my experience that 3 daily feedings are not necessary. I would highly suggest to only buy anthias that are already eating prepared food at your LFS (usually small mysis or brine shrimp). When I first brought the fish home I fed twice a day religiously for about 2 weeks. After I noticed the fish getting plump and happy I started doing once a day, and they every other day. During this two week transition period, it seemed very helpful to incorporate micro foods into their feedings (cyclopeze - the loose variety, not the flakes, as well as reef chili from BRS). I was already using these micro foods to target feed corals and sponges, but found the anthias enjoying it as well.

Also, I would highly recommend to buy anthias in a small school. From my experience, they tended not to do as well solo. If you can, but all female/juvenile with one male. A harem of only females will do well as well. More than 1 male in all but larger tanks, always ended up in the death of the smaller male for me.

As for compatibility, they are considered reef-safe and will not bother other fish and other corals/inverts.

Hope this helps...

That does help. I was thinking 3 times a day was nuts, that is more care than a seahorse. Thanks for the help.

Yup np, it's really about getting them used to eating more per feeding. Just takes training and time.

Yup np, it's really about getting them used to eating more per feeding. Just takes training and time.

That makes sense. There were some lyre tales at my LFS last week but they are gone now. They still have some Randall's and some bartlett's in stock. To bad my tank isn't ready. I am thinking either the ignitus, squareback, or cranberryi. Has anyone had a few of these in a 90?

... Maybe the lyretail but LA recommends 125 gallon. Would a 90 be ok?

Back
Top Bottom