anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My boyfriend and I are interested in adding some anthias to our 55gal tank. We currently have two black perc. clowns & 2 yellowtailed damsels, 2 peppermint shrimp & 12 turbo snails. I just had a couple of questions before we made a purchase.
1- saltwaterfish.com says they need to be monitered with shrimp, but liveaquaria.com says invert & reef safe. Any experience with anthias & shrimp? Any species better than another?
2- How many is okay to add in a 55gal. I was thinking 3, but I wasnt too sure.
3- Any recommendations for a specific species would be great. We're having a hard time deciding because they are all so lovely.

TIA
-chizzle

I think in the 55G that having three anthias is hugely overkill. They grow to a decent size and a 55 (based on my 55G) is way too small for them as well as the other fish.

I'd love to have an anthia pair as well but my experience from this forum and discussing at other knowledgable fish stores is that you'd probably be better off with something like a yellow tang instead.

What type are you talking about?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=20

Here is an extensive list of them and you can see the pro`s and cons of each type. Some need a 50 gallon all the way up to 125 gallon. I have 5 of them in my 125. Here is a pic of them. Please read up on the type you want to make sure you will be able to provide for them.

img_721815_0_2ea8c2074eb6af4f01cae245dea3f0dc.jpg

I was more or less leaning towards the Bartlett's anthias, but I was still worried about their compatability with shrimp. Liveaquaria.com says they are fine with inverts, but saltwaterfish.com says to monitor with shrimp. Didn't know if anyone had any personal experience or knew anything more for advice.

But assuming I do decide to do the Bartlett's, I would do with a pair instead of a trio. Easier on the bioload and my wallet.

And then about the yellow tang, I would love to have one but the majority of things I've read on this site say that a tang, of any kind, in a 55gal is still pushing it. Am i misinturpretting the information?? Because if I am, I would definately choose the tang over the anthias.

Thanks again.

I personally believe a yellow tang or kole tang will be OK in a 55. The others are more prone to ick and need larger tanks. I had a yellow and Kole in a 55 for years so I`m speaking from experience also. The anthias have never bothered my shrimp, crab or lobster not to say they wont but if they do , off they must go. They will also have to go if they cant adjust to the every other day feeding. I say every other day but on the off days I put a clip of seaweed selects in there for the tang and they nip at that. I`ve been ick and algea free for 7 years now and I`m not changing that for any fish.

I`m knocking on my head right now.

Haha, thanks for the quick response. We've been up and running now for almost 4 months and haven't had any problems at all, so I'm knocking on my head also ;). With that advice then, I'm going to have to give into the boyfriend and get the tang. We made the deal that he would do all the corals & I'd do fish, but the tang was the only one he wanted, so I'll make the sacrifice. And it's already time for a bigger tank. I had no idea how addicted this hobby was. Thanks again for the help, I'll know now for the next tank.

Good luck and yes that bigger tank syndrome is hitting alot of people right now just in time for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom