Anthias in a 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could I keep a trio of Bartlett anthias in my 45 gallon reef tank? They only get to be 3.5 inches so it seems like it should work. Thanks in advance!

Not knowing what else you have, you could do a harem of 1 male per 3 females.

I have a very unagressive pair of clownfish and a yellow coris wrasse

Awesome! Do I need three females in the harem or would 2 and one male be ok?

And Carey I know it says that but it just doesn't make sense to me, 70 gallons for a 3.5 inch fish? Idk it doesnt seem right

When I was shopping for my anthias I had the same questions. I think they are being a bit over conservative myself, but I still think 3 of them plus what you got might be too many. You wouldnt be able to add anything else for sure and anthias arent the easiest fish to keep. I lost my squareback, he apparently just stopped eating. They arent real big on prepared foods....

Oh, it's just that they are so pretty, and don't squarebacks get big? I also though Bartletts were one of the easiest.

Bartletts and lyretails I believe are the easiest. My squareback was about 4 inches when I had him. I also planned on a harem for my 125g but I think that would be too much even for my big tank.

Just giving my opinion. :)

I'd hate for anything bad to happen, so I'm always a bit conservative as well.

I guess so, I just want a school of active fish and I don't really like chromis

Bartlette's anthias don't take up alot of real estate so you wouldn't be anywhere near overstocked. If you only got 3 then get small females, but I think they'd have more security with a harem of at least 4 (you could get all small fems and 1 will eventually turn male).

I have a purple anthias that is not eating anything. Have tried almost everything, but he won't eat. Any ideas? All other fish are fat and happy.

I've yet to see a fish that doesn't accept live adult brine shrimp (they can be enriched using phytoplankton), which would be a good way to get them interested in eating.

Back
Top Bottom