Anthias Trio Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering getting a trio of Anthias for my 240g FOWLR. Current residents include...Purple Tang, Blonde Naso Tang, Magnificent Foxface, Harlequin Tusk, Lyretail Hogfish, Rusty Angel and Lamark Angel. I have a Borbonius Anthias that is still on the mend in my reef tank that I plan to add once its tail heals a bit more (it was a rescue with major fin/tail damage from aggression).

Outside of the Borbonius, I have never had Anthias before and have not paid much attention to which do better than others. My general understanding is that some can be tricky to keep alive. I'm totally open to (and appreciate) suggestions and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have tried several types and the Lyretail anthias were the easiest for me. By a longshot compared to the others.

Those are actually what got me thinking about them. We saw a couple females at the LFS last weekend. They had male Squarebacks too. Are the Squarebacks much more difficult?

I had a few one time ago and they picked on each other all the time. They eventually died off after about a year.

I had a male squareback in my 60 gal. He was the last one in and he clearly was the most dominant one. He usually floated around the center of the tank and would pick on my midas blenny. The blenny usually hid in the rocks and I had fish him out of the overflow a couple of times. One morning I saw that the squareback had committed suicide by jumping out of the tank. I pondered whether to get another squareback but I noticed that all the fish were swimming around the tank more freely. I later decided to get a tomini tang instead.

Get 2 more Borbonious.

The one I have now was purchased as a pair. I was told the original owner got them at an LFS where they were in the same tank and fine together. He got the pair home and put them into his 120g. An hour or so later, the one had torn up the other. The tail fin was a stub, the dorsal was about half. He netted it and put it into his sump and started looking for someone to take it for free. I happened to see the ad on Craigslist and was in his area. It's been almost a year and it is looking much better. The tail fin still needs some growth before I am comfortable moving it into the 240g. That is the end goal though.

Borbonious are expensive and I'm not sure I want to risk $300+ on a new pair and hope they all three get along. Super cool fish with tons of personality though.

Back
Top Bottom