Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anxious to put coarls in

Hi

My tank is now 6 weeks old.
All my # are where they should be.
My lights 3 power glo 1 athenic blue.
How will I know when it's the time to put corals in?
What should I start with?

Thank's
aldo as a lime

Old 08-13-2003, 01:05 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: Anxious to put coarls in

Sorry to put a damper on things but a 6 week tank is not really ready for corals at this point. Even though the numbers may be fine, you really should give it a few more month to mature. After about 3- 4 months you could look into some soft corals and/or shrooms, 6+ month for LPS and closer to a year for SPS and clams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
That said, could you provide some detailed info about your lights and the tank itself? Are these NO bulbs?

Also have you reduced your fish stocks in this 66 gal tank yet?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-13-2003, 02:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Steve
The power glo are NO bulbs seen them at petco. I think in a fewmore weeks you could try like a mushroom or two.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Re: Anxious to put coarls in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Sorry to put a damper on things but a 6 week tank is not really ready for corals at this point. Even though the numbers may be fine, you really should give it a few more month to mature. After about 3- 4 months you could look into some soft corals and/or shrooms, 6+ month for LPS and closer to a year for SPS and clams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
That said, could you provide some detailed info about your lights and the tank itself? Are these NO bulbs?

Also have you reduced your fish stocks in this 66 gal tank yet?

Cheers
Steve
Okay, now I'm scared.

Not only have I added two hard corals to my 4-week old tank, but I got a meat-coral, a button coral and one flaming-red scalop too. (Okay, and two mushroom corals as well.)

They are all thriving now. I hand-feed them raw brine shrimp (a totally cool experience) and they are doing well.

I say, if you have the chance - WAIT. Let your tank mature. Allow yourself time to get used to the tank. Steve is an excellent source of info and I recommend you take his advice. I added my corals before I knew better and I wish I had waited. They are doing fine - granted- but I should have waited.

Give it a few more weeks, and get used to checking the water quality and what-not, and then add the corals. It WILL be worth the wait!!

Todd
Old 08-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I really can't add any more to what Steve has said. Patience is extremely important in this hobby. A stable and mature tank is key to the survivability of many creatures.

Before you even adventure into the world of corals, you're likely going to want to upgrade your lighting considerably. You also want to buy good calcium & alkalinity test kits, and monitor those levels for at least a couple months.

A tank that is 6 weeks old is still very likely to go through some serious algae blooms - much easier to eradicate and control without corals in the tank.

Spend the few months reading up on the corals you want to keep. You will be glad you did. Buy the book "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman, and read it cover to cover. It's well worth it.

Quote:
and one flaming-red scalop too.
Todd ~ keep an eye on that scallop. If it decides to move, let it be (even if it goes where you can't see it) - if they move, they're moving to conditions that are better for them. They don't have a fantastic survivability record in captivity. If you're interested, here's a great article on them:

Flame Scallops ~ Rob Toonen, Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine

HTH,
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Reeflady

Thank's as for my lights ---2 Ho power glow 40w 18000k 2 athenic blue
is all i can afford .
I though I would not buy coral that need HIGH CONCENTRATION of light but stay with medium light corals.
Will it work?
(Please say yes )

aldo as a lime
Old 08-14-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
2 Ho power glow 40w 18000k 2 athenic blue
is all i can afford .
I though I would not buy coral that need HIGH CONCENTRATION of light but stay with medium light corals.
Will it work?
(Please say yes )
Well .... I hate to be the *rain on your parade* person, but, well, no.

"Watts per gallon" is somewhat of an archaic, and not particularly accurate way of measuring lighting needs for a reef, but for "medium - light" corals, you still want to think in the area of around 3-4 watts per gallon.

With NO lighting (Power glows), I'd say maybe try a few mushrooms - toward the middle-to-top of the tank. There are a lot of mushroom varieties and colors. I'd still wait a few months to add these, and add only one or two at a time to see how they do.

Good luck!
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 03:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long before anenomes?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:31 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
How long before anenomes?
It is typically recommended that you give yourself and your tank a year to mature before you attempt anemones. In the wild these animals are, for all intenets and purposes, immortal, yet they tend to die rather quickly in home aquariums. This is due to several reasons (collection, transport and storage top the list), but inexperience or unsuitable tanks are up there too.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Time to show off.

Well .... I hate to be the *rain on your parade* person, but, well, no.

Reeflady,
The quote is something you said to me a few months back but with your generous and patient help and also a few other advisors within the club, I have come a long way and owe the results to all of you.

Again, I say many many thanks and I am proud to be a member of this club.

If I am successful in attaching the photos, you will all see what you taught me. Here goes!
Aldo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com