Any Butterflies Reef Compatable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allyjoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone out there know if there are any butterflies that are reef compatable? I've seen some mention of Copperbands every now and then. I have several soft corals (zoos, etc.) and LSP's and have room for one more fish. I'd like to go with a Copperband if possible, but I'm very nervous about adding it with my corals.

it is never a 100% guarantee with any fish. That being said, I have a CBB in my reef.

With butterflies and angels it is always a crap shoot. Ms Hara got a good one. Hopefully you will too. But there is always a chance.

As mentioned, every fish is different. My copperband never bothered any of my corals but took care of all of my feather dusters in no time.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like the CB is a very similar situation to the Flame Angel. Might be a problem - might not.

allyjoe said:
Thanks for the response. Sounds like the CB is a very similar situation to the Flame Angel. Might be a problem - might not.

You are correct

Please also take into account that the copperband is a very difficult fish to keep. Finding one that readily accepts prepared foods is very hard.

Make sure that you see it eat before you buy it. Lando does have an excellent point.

Understand Lando. If I did get one, I would take my time finding one and do it right (or at least try). I'm more worried about finally getting one in there and then seeing it nip at the corals. I'll keep thinking about it. Do you (or anyone else) know of any other butterflies that are reef safe. From my research, this looks like the best option out there.

lando said:
Please also take into account that the copperband is a very difficult fish to keep. Finding one that readily accepts prepared foods is very hard.

VERY true.

I know a few here have had good luck with their Copperband's. I have had 3, None of them lasted more then 1.5 months. They are beautiful and smart fish though. I never had any real problems getting them to eat, All of mine ate within a few days. I fed Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, and Brine Shrimp. They Do Get Ich when stressed, so QT is a MUST.

That said, Its worth mentioning that Long Nose Butterfly are also known to be reef safe. As mentioned you take a chance with any of them, but The Long Nose and Copperband are less of a risk.

The Long Nose is far easier to keep than the Copperband, is every bit as neat of a fish, and are usually cheaper as well. Long Nose's are also alot less likely to get Ich, and are more hardy then the Copperband.

I just Purchased a Long Nose for my tank, and have been very happy with him so far. As Lando mentioned, He wiped out my small feather dusters over night, But has never even tried to pick at my corals, As a matter of fact he ate a couple of aptasia's out of my star polyp's but didn't even disrupt the polyps at all.

HTH

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom