Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah id sell it. its a corallife ill get the model number later. only bad thing is bulb was blown so youll have to get a new one. and i was looking at the 4 bulb fixture from fishneedit.com anyone bought from there?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
is back to save the day!

I bought a 150w MH Pendant from them. They're great pendants, and i've heard only good things about their T5 fixtures. They used to have older models of the T5 fixtures that weren't as good, but recently, May 18th, they released their new MH pendants and T5 fixtures that were greatly improved. If you were going to buy from them, now would be the time to do it. They run out of products fairly quickly, and when they do run out, they usually don't have more in stock until they improve/upgrade the fixtures, which is what happened to me. I had to wait 3 months before they were back in stock with the 150w MH pendants.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow. thats actually smart practice in my opinion. they also have a sell hmmm. lol.. pm me a offer for the light
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

why are pc bulbs so flipping expensive lol
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
is back to save the day!

Don't know, but why do you want to go with PC? T5's are much better, and their bulbs are way cheaper than any other bulb out there. Except for the cheap metal halide DE bulbs you could get on ebay for like 15 bucks.. I still don't understand why you're so against MH's. I love my MH and the shimmer effect is amazing. I even have a coral skeleton on the sandbed of my tank and it looks like what was completely dead and bleached is now making a recovery.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i dont want pc thats just the fixture that came with it so i was gonna use it til i bought a better one. ill be getting prob. a 4 or 6 bulb t5 ho. and im against MH because bulbs more expensive, they run hotter, they cost about 3x as much to run..
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

what would a 4x36 t5ho support?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #28
is back to save the day!

True true.. i get what your saying. It's really not that expensive in my case then since it's just one light running and all i've got to replace is one bulb and i can get the cheap 15$ ones through ebay and still have great PAR.

Anyways.. i've seen 4x36 T5HO fixtures on 40G breeder tanks and most of the people running the fixtures had any types of softies, zoas, rics, shrooms, and most LPS. Not sure if it would be strong enough for all types of SPS.. but definitely some of the less light demanding ones. If you're not big on SPS then a 4x36 T5HO fixture would be fine... but then again, your tank is bigger than a 40G breeder.

What are the dimensions exactly? Maybe it's up here already.. but i don't feel like looking lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

im not really big on sps, and lol its 36.5 long, 18 deep 21.5 tall
Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #30
is back to save the day!

Hmm... idk.. 21" is pretty tall.. I think if you would be able to get your hands on a nice 6x36 T5HO fixture you would be totally set.. but then again, like i said, 21" is pretty deep. However, i've read and heard that the cutoff for T5's is 24" so you may still be ok with the T5's. I know you don't like MH's, but with 2x150w lights you would be fine to keep tons of coral, and with the 250w you would be able to keep anything you wanted.

I guess.. the only other solution if you didn't want to go MH, and T5's just weren't cutting it for your tank and you didn't like your coral selection, would be LED's. But those are generally more expensive then MH's.. BUT they run very cool, and have a ton less power consumption than MH's.

Anyways... i still think you should do MH's lol, but i think with a 6x36 T5HO fixture you would be ok.

Sorry.. but anywhere i said 6x36.. i meant 6x39. I think a fixture like this would be excellent if you wanted to keep softies, zoas, and some LPS.
TEK LIGHT T-5, 36" Light Fixture 6 x 39W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

Just a little dreaming right here.. but if i had your tank.. i would buy this fixture.. assuming i had the money. God only knows what i could do with this lol

BELIZE SUN 36" HQI +T5 + LED Lighting System by Hamilton Technology* - AquaCave

Also.. this may not be the same for you, but i'm just saying... I also was not big on SPS.. and didn't plan to have any.. but for some reason.. i feel myself wanting some of the REALLY nice Acroporas and the Montiporas.. and especially some of the Pocilloporidae. Green Birdsnest if my FAV.

Tags
8 gallon, oceanic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com