Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Current USA makes great T5 light fixtures... There's no way you can compare Coralife and Current USA. The two brands you want to stay away from are Coralife and Odyssey.

Still, ATI, TEK, and Giesemann are GREAT light fixtures.. but the Giesemann's are expensive as heck. Wavepoint's are pretty good lights too.
True, I was hasty in my post and did not better explain myself. Current is definitely above coralife, they make nice compact fixtures with lots of nice features and they are very reliable. I had one over my frag tank for a year or so. The quality of the components though is what I was more referring to. Their stock bulbs aren't great, i saw a huge change when i upgraded to a mix of UVL and Giesemanns. Their reflectors are just decent as well, mine said it had "individual" reflectors but it was just one piece of metal bent all around, and not even close to parabolic.

Mind you this is all info from a couple years ago, I havent looked at any of their new fixtures really in depth. They might have changed those things i mentioned, but i kinda doubt it.

Thanks for setting me straight Zer0.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

They haven't changed those things to my knowledge Jimbo7.

Our Current Nova Extreme Pro does just have one piece of metal, bent to make "individual" reflectors. More expensive brands (like Tek Light/Sunlight Supply) do actually have individual reflectors, but of course they have the price tag to match, lol. I do agree that upgrading the bulbs is a good idea. When I mentioned that we are keeping some sps in our tank with the 6x 39W T5's, I should have also mentioned that we upgraded to Giesemann bulbs.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh i was going to upgrade bulbs lol i would only keep the first ones if one goes out and i need it asap for some reason
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can also buy indivdual reflectors and screw them in. to bad the reflectors are like 20 bucks each haha id need 6-8 of them.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #45
is back to save the day!

Yeah i definitely agree on the bulbs part. I would have upgraded the bulbs on my Nova Extreme Pro as well if i still had it.. but i don't. And i also agree on the parts quality thing... they aren't the best, but they're not that bad. One end of my fixture was sortof bent up and you had to hammer it a bit to get the splash guard off.. but other than that everything was fine.

Just sayin...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think i might go with 2 4x39 watt fixtures
Old 06-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice, that will be cool. If you are handy enough to build a canopy for your tank (like I wish I was, lol), you may be able to save some cash by using retrofit kits instead of fixtures.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Nice, that will be cool. If you are handy enough to build a canopy for your tank (like I wish I was, lol), you may be able to save some cash by using retrofit kits instead of fixtures.
well ive thought of that. but then again its like 50 bucks each ballast so 8 bulbs thatd already be more than the 250 i can get these for. :/ but i would like a canopy.. i just cant figure out what the stain or wood is used in my stand

Tags
8 gallon, oceanic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com