Any experience with a 58 gallon oceanic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Current USA makes great T5 light fixtures... There's no way you can compare Coralife and Current USA. The two brands you want to stay away from are Coralife and Odyssey.

Still, ATI, TEK, and Giesemann are GREAT light fixtures.. but the Giesemann's are expensive as heck. Wavepoint's are pretty good lights too.

True, I was hasty in my post and did not better explain myself. Current is definitely above coralife, they make nice compact fixtures with lots of nice features and they are very reliable. I had one over my frag tank for a year or so. The quality of the components though is what I was more referring to. Their stock bulbs aren't great, i saw a huge change when i upgraded to a mix of UVL and Giesemanns. Their reflectors are just decent as well, mine said it had "individual" reflectors but it was just one piece of metal bent all around, and not even close to parabolic.

Mind you this is all info from a couple years ago, I havent looked at any of their new fixtures really in depth. They might have changed those things i mentioned, but i kinda doubt it.

Thanks for setting me straight Zer0. :)

They haven't changed those things to my knowledge Jimbo7.

Our Current Nova Extreme Pro does just have one piece of metal, bent to make "individual" reflectors. More expensive brands (like Tek Light/Sunlight Supply) do actually have individual reflectors, but of course they have the price tag to match, lol. I do agree that upgrading the bulbs is a good idea. When I mentioned that we are keeping some sps in our tank with the 6x 39W T5's, I should have also mentioned that we upgraded to Giesemann bulbs. :)

oh i was going to upgrade bulbs lol i would only keep the first ones if one goes out and i need it asap for some reason :)

you can also buy indivdual reflectors and screw them in. to bad the reflectors are like 20 bucks each haha id need 6-8 of them.

Yeah i definitely agree on the bulbs part. I would have upgraded the bulbs on my Nova Extreme Pro as well if i still had it.. but i don't. And i also agree on the parts quality thing... they aren't the best, but they're not that bad. One end of my fixture was sortof bent up and you had to hammer it a bit to get the splash guard off.. but other than that everything was fine.

Just sayin...

Nice, that will be cool. If you are handy enough to build a canopy for your tank (like I wish I was, lol), you may be able to save some cash by using retrofit kits instead of fixtures.

Nice, that will be cool. If you are handy enough to build a canopy for your tank (like I wish I was, lol), you may be able to save some cash by using retrofit kits instead of fixtures.
well ive thought of that. but then again its like 50 bucks each ballast so 8 bulbs thatd already be more than the 250 i can get these for. :/ but i would like a canopy.. i just cant figure out what the stain or wood is used in my stand

Back
Top Bottom