Any experience with a 58 gallon oceanic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i wanted to first start up with a 30 reef then i found a 55 gallon tank well now at my work which is also my lfs :) i got offered a 58 oceanic tank, with stand, pre-drilled with a trickle filter, and a pc light 50/50 for 150$ bucks! so outta regards to the tank how big is it? is the the foot print of a 40 breeder just taller?

I found some pics from the 2004 - 2006 timeframe and the tank is not rimless. I also found custom cabinets for the tank:

Professionally installed 58-gallon Oceanic Aquarium System. (Baton Rouge and North Shore customers only) Cabinet is 37"Lx19"Wx32"H

HTH

thats about the size of the stand to :) only thing i gotta add to the tank is a protein skimmer and its ready to go. maybe add a hob diy fuge made from a aqua clear :) i just wonder if the lighting will be good enough for corals.. :/

If it is a used fixture I would recommend replacing the bulbs, PC's spectrum rating really only hold for around 6 months, 8 months being around the max before they are feeding the algae more then your coral.
Remember that the watts per gallon really is just a rough estimate of what you can do. It's an awesome start though.
Only thing when you are protein skimmer shopping, a lot of the bigger chains and even some shifty LFS's will try and push you towards the coralife skimmer line. Save your money and buy an octopus or something that is a real brand, they are the biggest hunks of junk.

well i know what skimmer im getting i just cant remember the name. its what we use on all the saltwater tanks. (i work at a fish store) tehe :)

lol yeah they use the skimmer on a 125 so i think itll do well enough on a 58 well like 60 with the water in the filter.

I have 4 brand new 03-actinics (NIB). I also have an older Coralife 36" marine fixture (2x96). PM me with an offer if interested. The bulbs are square pinned.

You should get one 10k and one Actinic for that fixture. Then you can do the dawn/dusk light schedule.

well turns out the light is one by 96 :( but its a corallife fixture so i was wondering if i could put a bulb in it with more watts?

You can't. You would need a ballast that's rated for higher watts. Also.. you would need endcaps that would be rated for higher wattage as well.

That sounds like a fixture they made for FW. It should be fine for FO or FOWLR tank, though I would want more light (2 bulb fixture at least).

Any chance you could sell the PC fixture? Then you would have some extra money for atleast a 4 bulb t5ho.

Sweet deal you got there!

Back
Top Bottom