Any good bottled bacteria that's out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been seeing a lot of new bottled bacteria enter the market and am wondering if people have had true success with any of these products. I'm asking because I have a fish that needs to be separated from the rest of my fish and need to have a quick cycled and get him out of my main tank before he ends up whipping out my tank. And it can't wait a month.

I would use water from the main tank to use in the quarantine. Then mix fresh water for a weekly, or more often water change on the main tank. That way you are using "cycled" water already. I am not a fan of the bottled bio products. It seems to me they are just going to become a big bio load that dies off and pollutes the water worse than if you never used it at all.

Crazycajun said:
Dr Tim's one and only. That is what I used.

Biozyme mix it in saltwater then put in tank took my ammonia in my new tank from 2-3 to 0 in one day that was a week ago and still no ammonia

Biozyme mix it in saltwater then put in tank took my ammonia in my new tank from 2-3 to 0 in one day that was a week ago and still no ammonia

Biozyme sucked when I tried it. Dr tims really seems to do something other than that they are all just a scam.

bigben2057 said:
Biozyme sucked when I tried it. Dr tims really seems to do something other than that they are all just a scam.

Idk it worked for me cycled my 250g in no time ive never used dr tims

bigben2057 said:

Idk it worked for me cycled my 250g in no time its been up 3 weeks and 0 ammonia since i used biozyme one week ago ive never used dr tims tho

danbstrong said:
Idk it worked for me cycled my 250g in no time its been up 3 weeks and 0 ammonia since i used biozyme one week ago ive never used dr tims tho

Lol didn think the first one went thru sorry bout duplicate lol

I have been seeing a lot of new bottled bacteria enter the market and am wondering if people have had true success with any of these products. I'm asking because I have a fish that needs to be separated from the rest of my fish and need to have a quick cycled and get him out of my main tank before he ends up whipping out my tank. And it can't wait a month.

For what its worth owner at LFS store guaranteed Seachem Stability would work. Owner used it on own tank as trial and set up salinity, temp, put some live rock and stability for 7 days. Fish went in on Day 1. Tank readings were Amm 0, Nitr 0 and Nitrates 5-10 from day 1. 1 year later all fish alive and doing well as is tank. This was saltwater tank by the way.

I am trying now...an on day 5 with amm 0, Nitr 0 and Nitrates 5-10 every day same readings no fluctuations.

For what its worth owner at LFS store guaranteed Seachem Stability would work. Owner used it on own tank as trial and set up salinity, temp, put some live rock and stability for 7 days. Fish went in on Day 1. Tank readings were Amm 0, Nitr 0 and Nitrates 5-10 from day 1. 1 year later all fish alive and doing well as is tank. This was saltwater tank by the way.

I am trying now...an on day 5 with amm 0, Nitr 0 and Nitrates 5-10 every day same readings no fluctuations.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about stability some say it works perfectly some say it doesn't work. I hear really good things about instant ocean bio spiari or something like that. I'm debating just doing a fish less cycle but would love to be able to give it a jump start. The last fish less cycle I did took 2 months...

I think a fish only system it might be okay, but with a load of live rock, I'm not sure what you are gaining. Maybe it kick starts it, but in a reef you need stability, so I wonder if it produces the same results as a full tank cycle.

Gregcoyote said:
I think a fish only system it might be okay, but with a load of live rock, I'm not sure what you are gaining. Maybe it kick starts it, but in a reef you need stability, so I wonder if it produces the same results as a full tank cycle.

Imo i think its the same as a cycle with a cycle your waiting on bb to grow naturally with bacteria additive theres no wait your adding the same bb directly it worked for me i have fish already in my 250g snails chaeto growing no ammonia nitrate goin down due to fuge all is good its been up 3 weeks

Fritz-zyme hands down. Not easy to find because it needs to be refrigerated. You can go to their website, punch in your zip and they will give you local dealers. My tank went into a mini cycle once, and I used this. Nitrites were gone in a day and haven't had a problem since.

I just cycled a tank with established media and such. Stocking it this week.....fully. If I run into an issue, I'm running out to get this stuff again!

danbstrong said:
Imo i think its the same as a cycle with a cycle your waiting on bb to grow naturally with bacteria additive theres no wait your adding the same bb directly it worked for me i have fish already in my 250g snails chaeto growing no ammonia nitrate goin down due to fuge all is good its been up 3 weeks

Just my experience id say do what you feel comfortable with i have 8 years reef experience not sayin thats a ton but enough to know in and outs

I set up a tank using prime once and had no problems adding livestock the second day and then using prime everyday for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom