any insight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeNero1331

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was looking at improving my lighting and have narrowed it down to either a: 72" 4-165W VHO

or a: 72" 6-96W PC

It seams like the preference often goes to the PC's but the VHO has more total watts.

Can anyone give me any insight as to the possible pros and cons to either of them?

Thanks!

out of the two id go vho myself ! but for about the same price ya better with mh retro if you can work it into your canopy :)
i believe vho bulb last a bit longer than pc and run a bit cooler as well :)

I believe the pc's have a more intense light with smaller bulbs. Also I had been told that with the advent of metal halide and power compacts, that it was going to be harder and harder to find vho bulbs and that they would eventually be phased out. If the price is comparative I would rather have the power compacts than the vho's. jmho

the vho's are actually cheaper. I was looking at mh's but the price on them is well above what I'd spend on the straight vho's or pc's. Also, I had concerns about the heating and placement of the mh's. I don't have the ability to hang them down from the ceiling and didn't want to have to buy a chiller.

From what I've been reading either the pc's or the vho's should support most corals, right? With maybe the exception of some of the more demanding ones. I would prefer the pc's but the price difference is close to $200. And either or them are much much cheaper than the mh's.

Any opions on this?

I just checked at my lfs and they were pushing the pc's. I asked them why the pc's wld be better if the vho's have higher watts and are cheaper and they couldn't really give me much of an answer.

Anyone have an idea as to the benefits of the pc's in this case?

I have VHO's and I used pc before. My corals really seemed to take off with the vho's. Only downside was not having the moonlights with them. we are getting a strip of moonlights from ebay though for a 72" for $70. So having had both I prefer VHO, but I am sure there are opinions and preferences.

well I spent the entire day researching this...and have not reached any conclusion. Apparently the watts don't help and only represent the power being used to power the light. PC's can have lower watts but give off more light. The vho's are supose to be better when they're new but wear out quicker. Despite the cost difference, I'm gonna splurge and go for the pc's I think.

If anyone else can throw in an opinion I would greatly appreciate it since I'm not happy about spending more money.

Back
Top Bottom