Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Any Mantis Owners? Molting Question...

I've had a large male peacock mantis shrimp for about 6-7 months. He's been healthy and happy. He's molted successfully 3 times since I've had him. Unfortunately for the past 24hours, he's been stuck in a molt. He removed his abdomen, but it looks like his front few legs are stuck in the molt and he's been laying on his side half-molted for the past day. I know that the bigger they get (and he's a full 6"), the harder it is for them to molt, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do - or do I just hope for the best but prepare for the worst?

- Skins

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
I had a cleaner shrimp take a while to complete a molt... not sure about being able to help at all though... even more so because of yours being a mantis... Keep us posted.

Kimberly in NE Florida
Cycle complete Early 2-06
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
not sure if iodide or iodine will help at this point ....please test your levels before adding any additive ...
Alot of mantis owners on here
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Most people have been urging me not to bother him during the molt and just to be patient - including adding any supplements.

He's still alive, but he's obviously stressed from the extended molt and there's no way he'll accept any food in this state, so I'm shutting of the lights, keeping the water topped off and hoping for the best.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
ever here the story about the boy who helped the butterfly get out of its cocoon...
"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw
hc8719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Do not bother the mantis, you are very right when you say the larger they get the harder it can become. Sometimes they will loose their smashers when they dont get used often. When they die it is usually from a molt but they can take a while to molt, sometimes hiding out for up to a week, then they eat their molt. Hope this helps and good luck!

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

molt, molting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com