Any Mantis Owners? Molting Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a large male peacock mantis shrimp for about 6-7 months. He's been healthy and happy. He's molted successfully 3 times since I've had him. Unfortunately for the past 24hours, he's been stuck in a molt. He removed his abdomen, but it looks like his front few legs are stuck in the molt and he's been laying on his side half-molted for the past day. I know that the bigger they get (and he's a full 6"), the harder it is for them to molt, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do - or do I just hope for the best but prepare for the worst?

Thanks.

- Skins

Most people have been urging me not to bother him during the molt and just to be patient - including adding any supplements.

He's still alive, but he's obviously stressed from the extended molt and there's no way he'll accept any food in this state, so I'm shutting of the lights, keeping the water topped off and hoping for the best.

Do not bother the mantis, you are very right when you say the larger they get the harder it can become. Sometimes they will loose their smashers when they dont get used often. When they die it is usually from a molt but they can take a while to molt, sometimes hiding out for up to a week, then they eat their molt. Hope this helps and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom