any need for Mechanical filtraion on a SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjay615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Coming from FW, I have always felt the need to want to have MEch filtation on my SW tank.

I know the downsides, becoming a nitrate pump, frequent cleaning necc...

Just always felt "naked" not having such a simple and cheap device.

I see a lot of sumps with micron socks and wet/drys with filter pads...

Every once and a while I throw a filter pad cut out in front of my return pump intake on a peice of plastic diffuser panel for a day or so. Sure enough, even though my water is pretty clear, it comes out brown.

I know the LR is supposed to be enough filtration ( i have roughly 1.5lbs/gal and plan on getting more very soon to repopulate my Algea ridden rock with some nice new critters) but...

I guess I just need reinforcement from others...

I find the best success with a combination of the two approaches. Most of the time i do not have any mechanical filtration on the tank but somewhere in the ball park of once every couple weeks i put a filter sock on. I usualy only leave it in for 2-3 days and then pull it out again. I do the same thing with activated carbon.

I find the best success with a combination of the two approaches. Most of the time i do not have any mechanical filtration on the tank but somewhere in the ball park of once every couple weeks i put a filter sock on. I usualy only leave it in for 2-3 days and then pull it out again. I do the same thing with activated carbon.

That's exactly what I was doing... just seems to make me feel better hahaaha

I use a filter sock in my sump all the time. I just change it out once a week and it works great. Catches alot of junk and depending how clear I want my water to get I can either run a 200 micron sock for normal filtration or I can switch it out to a 10 micron sock for a day and really polish the water.

I use a filter sock in my sump all the time. I just change it out once a week and it works great. Catches alot of junk and depending how clear I want my water to get I can either run a 200 micron sock for normal filtration or I can switch it out to a 10 micron sock for a day and really polish the water.

I like that idea...

I run a sock full time. 200 micron only. I have several on hand. When one becomes clogged and starts overflowing the sock holder, I simply pull it out, wash it in the washer on "sanitize" without detergent and insert a new one.

It has to be changed weekly, so really no nitrate build up.

I am amazed at how dirty it gets in just a week.

i used to change out filter socks every 3 days on my old system. they would clog up at 4 days...i used the 8" ones, because i could turn them inside out easily and pick off all the critters that got stuck in it.

Back
Top Bottom