Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've talked to one person who said his ate frozen food. But thats the only one that I've heard survive on that type of food. You might want to think twice on getting one. I know I saw one today at a LFS, and asked about it. But it wasn't feeding yet.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, today I added a piece of LR to my system because the anenome I wanted was firmly attached. 8) In addition to the 5 crabs and 2 snails hitchhiking I noticed tons of white dots (I assume pods).

When I closely inspected my tank I noticed tons of them on the back glass and rock throughout the tank. Assuming these are copepods how many is enough to support a Mandarin or scooter? I too made the mistake of getting one early on before I knew better.

I gave up hope on this occurring because I thought high light was required to produce pods and I have at best 1.5 WPG. Once started do they continue to propagate on their own or is there something special that need to be done to keep them going?

TIA,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The white dots are likely small tube worms. They'll grow all over the place including your glass, the reproduce like crazy. Dragonettes will not eat these. Copepods are minute and difficult to see, amphipods are larger bug like looking guys. None of these require any light to reproduce, but I believe they will do so faster if they have a regular photoperiod. There is no wattage requirement for this, just light and dark.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

So assuming they are worms and not pods are they good bad or indifferent? I did notice my emerald crab seemes to be picking at them last night.

A post above stated Madarins eats worms are these just not the type they eat?

Thanks,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live sand may have baby worms living in it, so they may get eaten. But I wouldn't consider them to be an actual part of their diet. I'd call the tube worms indifferent. They are filter feeders, but I don't think they eat enough of anything to be beneficial. They are a sign that the tank is maturing if they reproduce readily, but that's about it.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com