Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any other Indian Yellowtail Angel owners out there?

Hi forum....haven't heard from me for a while...no problems, just an inquiry.

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to purchase an Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (a.k.a. "Cream Angel"), taxonomic classification "Apolemichthys xanthurus". BEAUTIFUL fish! Maximum length 7.9 inches, which is about the largest of the "large" angels I can put in a 75G FOWLR tank. He's not quite 2" long, so definitely a young specimen. He lived in the LFS for about a month, so I'm sure he's in decent health overall.

I'm curious to see if there are any other aquarists out there who owns one of these gorgeous fish, or has owned one in the past, and has any tips/stories they would like to share. I was told they are not very common in the trade, even though they are one of the "easier" angels to adapt to aquarium life.

As soon as I can get a clear photograph (he's fast), I'll post one...definitely worth seeing!

--AquaBear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They are commonly called gold flake angels around here and they are very expensive (or at least they used to be), when I worked for the LFS, we got one in for a customer once and got one for the store another time, so with the limted experience of two of them...they did poorly, both died within a month.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I picked this one up for $35, which is I guess about normal for the market here. I've seen other species run much more. And this one lived in the LFS for a month, so I've got my fingers crossed. He certainly has quite an appetite! I'll keep you posted how he does during his quarantine.

--AquaBear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Would love to see a picture of yours as that sounds like one heck of a deal, these fish went for about 300 bucks several years ago when I had dealing with them. I must be confused about the fish, cause after a search, I see the marine center has small ones available (every so often) for 25 bucks...

Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just uploaded a picture to the gallery, which is pending approval. This was a pic I took of him in the bag when he was floating, so it's a bit blurry, but even that bad of a shot, it's still a gorgeous fish. I promise I'll try to get a better picture soon. I'm such the proud papa!!!!

--Aquabear

FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 10-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I just approved it, I was confused...this isn't a gold flake, the first picture I saw on a google search looked very similar to a gold flake. I've never owned one of these (we called them buttercup angels), but most I sold them too, said they did pretty well.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, okay. I could see where at one time, these kinds of fish might have been extremely expensive, but I'd have to want one pretty bad to fork over $300. Actually, that picture was taken of him/her (don't know yet) in the bag. I went out and got some good batteries for the camera today, and finally had enough power to take a couple of much better shots. (The clownfish is in both of them as well, but they have bonded in just a few short days....they're hard to separate) Enjoy!

--AquaBear

FW4-30g, currently empty

Tags
angel, yellowtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com