Any other way to get rid of these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are growing wild! Still haven't gotten around to ordering anything yet, been busy at work. Planing on getting a couple peppermint shrimp as well to help with the tiny ones.

What ive found that works well in my experience is a vinegar/lemon juice mix. I got a hypodermic needle for free at walgreens. Inject about 2cc of the mix directly into the aipastia very very SLOWLY. Like take 1 min to inject the 2cc of the mix. its worked every time for me.

The filefishes are a hit and miss just like the pepermint shrimp. I have been dealing with an aiptasia for alittle introduced into my tank from the LFS I had some peperment shrimp that also ate my scallop but they do eat some of the aiptasia at night. I use Aiptasia X it comes with all you need to kill them. Dont pull the aiptasia of for it will put off toxins into the tank. I also just put in some Berghia nubibraches aiptasia is all the eat. They do work just dont look for them after you put them in the tank they only come out at night.

aptasia doesn't put toxins in the tank when you kill them as far as i know. i've been killing them for years with no ill effects. unless it's such a small amount that you don't even notice. either way it's nothing to be concerned with.

Aiptasia doesn't release toxins that I've ever heard of. But when you pull it off you end up with pieces in the tank that attach and become even more aiptasia.

When the aiptasia is stressed it will release spores into the water which will result in more aiptasia. That's why it is best to hit them with the Aiptasia-X, Joes Juice, or kalkwasswer (all three essentially the same thing) right on the oral disk to cover it. That way the main aiptasia will be destroyed and any spores it tries to release will also be destroyed by the kalk.

+1

A turkey baster is too big and you will dump too much chemical into the tank.

After dealing with one, I found more. They are very hardy creatures. they will live in freshwater dips, they will live for days without water, they will live in temp changes. they live on glass they live on a snail's a**. they live on Rocks, they live in Kalk.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I like boiling them. Boil some water in a coffee cup and then use a syringe to squirt the water directly on them.

Finally got some treatment, Aiptasia X. Going to try tomrw I think. They seem to have stoped spreading as much, like there growth is controled. I added two pepperment shrimp a few weeks back and I think there eating the little ones. But the big ones keep getting bigger and arent going anywhere, and there everywhere! So hopefuly this stuff works.

Now the directions say that I should get as may as I can in one swoop. Whats left over if you get stuff anywhere is suposed do disinigrate and not harm any coral. Should I go for it and treat as many as possible at once, or stick with the 5-10 every few days plan?

Attachments

• Photo_EEBA6597-2FB2-7E71-D9A3-DA543333C426.jpg
    Photo_EEBA6597-2FB2-7E71-D9A3-DA543333C426.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 187
i agree. it can't hurt to be cautious. that aptasia x i hear is just kalkwasser. that can alter your ph if you use a lot.

The size yours are from the pictures I've seen, I wouldn't do more than 5 a day. Just make sure you turn off all powerheads and pumps... you want NO flow in your tank when you treat them.

Yea other people in different threads are buggin me out telling me to take coral out of my tank. But I wasnt worried because i knew that the aptasia x was pretty much the same thing as kalk wrasser.Previosly in this thread i was told to only do a certain amount a day and thats what I was going to do.But then someone saw the aptasia in a few pics that i posted in other threads and said a few things that got me worried. So just to make sure, doing only a few a day, will not harm my coral?

... So just to make sure, doing only a few a day, will not harm my coral?

Correct. As long as you don't get the stuff on any corals (which is why you want no flow), you're OK. If it's mostly kalk, it will kill anything it touches... it doesn't care.

The only reason you want to limit yourself to a few a day isn't because of toxins or anything... it's just a water quality issue. If you have too much of anything dieing, it's going to effect your water quality. Corals/anemones dieing off is no different than a fish dieing and staying in your tank to rot.

Those things reproduce very fast. Like someone else said even when you think that you got them all there could still be a few on the undersides of the rocks. Good luck... Keep us posted on your progress.

The Acreichthys tomentosus previously mentioned works wonders (I have 4 in a 550g that eliminated a major infestation in about 30 days) along with Chelmon rostratus and various Chaetodon species (striatus, capistratus, lunula, collare, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom