Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
They are growing wild! Still haven't gotten around to ordering anything yet, been busy at work. Planing on getting a couple peppermint shrimp as well to help with the tiny ones.

Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
What ive found that works well in my experience is a vinegar/lemon juice mix. I got a hypodermic needle for free at walgreens. Inject about 2cc of the mix directly into the aipastia very very SLOWLY. Like take 1 min to inject the 2cc of the mix. its worked every time for me.
RYANLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The filefishes are a hit and miss just like the pepermint shrimp. I have been dealing with an aiptasia for alittle introduced into my tank from the LFS I had some peperment shrimp that also ate my scallop but they do eat some of the aiptasia at night. I use Aiptasia X it comes with all you need to kill them. Dont pull the aiptasia of for it will put off toxins into the tank. I also just put in some Berghia nubibraches aiptasia is all the eat. They do work just dont look for them after you put them in the tank they only come out at night.
Mikeseely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
aptasia doesn't put toxins in the tank when you kill them as far as i know. i've been killing them for years with no ill effects. unless it's such a small amount that you don't even notice. either way it's nothing to be concerned with.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Aiptasia doesn't release toxins that I've ever heard of. But when you pull it off you end up with pieces in the tank that attach and become even more aiptasia.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When the aiptasia is stressed it will release spores into the water which will result in more aiptasia. That's why it is best to hit them with the Aiptasia-X, Joes Juice, or kalkwasswer (all three essentially the same thing) right on the oral disk to cover it. That way the main aiptasia will be destroyed and any spores it tries to release will also be destroyed by the kalk.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

A turkey baster is too big and you will dump too much chemical into the tank.

After dealing with one, I found more. They are very hardy creatures. they will live in freshwater dips, they will live for days without water, they will live in temp changes. they live on glass they live on a snail's a**. they live on Rocks, they live in Kalk.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Fishless cycling
cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
I like boiling them. Boil some water in a coffee cup and then use a syringe to squirt the water directly on them.

redneckgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com