Any other way to get rid of these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crap! I did the treatment like 2 hrs ago. It worked great. I did everything the way I should, but after waiting about an hr and a half with everyhting off (pumps, powerheads ect) I turned them on. Little white chunks of stuff went everywhere! Should I be worried?

We purchased our syringe at fish2morrow. Only had one of those critters in our tank but still jumped to get rid of him

mr_X said:
btw, what is that brilliant red stuff in the 3rd pic?

That was my response! :D I wish that had exotic looking plants such as this for freshwater!

Ya it came from where I treated. Everything seems fine, 4 out of the 5 I hit are gone completly. The last is half shrivled up, but still extends his tenticals. Im going to do another 5 tonight, and keep going untill Ive hit all I can see.

I hear that Butterfly fish love to eat aiptasia. I have a purple tang, flame angel, and a clown in a 40 breeder which is my display. Two twenty gallons are plumed into the tank, giving me 80 gal total volume. Could I add a butterfly, or am I maxed out as it is?

na..thats not how it works. you can have a thousand gallon sump plumbed to your 40 breeder and still won't be able to keep certain fish.
all of those fish and shrimp suggestions are hit or miss anyway. there is no way to tell for sure unless you actually add something and see. also, they might not eat the aptasia, but find your corals to be most appetizing.

good point. I have to add something though cause theres no way Im going to be able to get rid of all the aiptasia. The little ones I can see under pieces of rock I have no idea how Im going to get them.

Crap! I did the treatment like 2 hrs ago. It worked great. I did everything the way I should, but after waiting about an hr and a half with everyhting off (pumps, powerheads ect) I turned them on. Little white chunks of stuff went everywhere! Should I be worried?
I wouldn't worry to much, Some of my fish even eat the stuff. If you put to much on and some fall onto your Zoos and such, it will retard their growth. I have found it best to go slow and feed the X to the Aiptasia instead of just shooting the X onto the Aiptasia.

What about these birghia snails? I was thinking about trying to get a coliny of them and see if they work. Anybody know where to get them online? I found one place, ReefTown.com, anyone know about them good/bad?

a medium size raccoon butterfly and a good quantity of peppermint shrimp will work great. do not add any chemicals. That is what I used to treat my aquarium. Just make sure the shrimp are peppermint and no camels because they look the same and they don't do the work. :)

do not add any chemicals? thousands of people use aptasia X, vinegar, lemon juice, kalkwasser paste with success, and now there is a problem with that? please enlighten us to why this is a bad thing.

+1 to Mr. X. Nothing wrong with 'chemicals' such as the ones suggested (listed in his post). Now if you're talking about treatments for illnesses, that's a totally different subject. We're talking about killing a specific unwanted organism.

Im going to keep going with the treatment. I hear the berghia eat only aiptasia, therefore when the aiptasia are all gone the berghia die as well. From the one site I saw the berghia are 10 bucks ea. For my tank and ammount of aiptasia, I need a coliny of 8+ berghia. Not sure if its going to be a waist of money.

the berghia they sell is so small that in a large tank they most of time can't find the Aiptasia fast enough and starve to death. As Mr X said you are doing the right thing.

I have had a bad aptasia problem before in my smaller tank. The way i was able to keep up with them was to eliminate 20 of them right before i did my water change. I would kill them and then take out the water and remove as much of the aptasia x and the anemones that i had killed. I think killing five a day u might not be able to keep up with them. And dont worry so long as u dont get it on one of your corals u wont have a problem using it.

The aiptasia X is working beautifly. Ive taken out about 60% of what was in my tank before treatment. I aimed for the biggest and ones most in sight, so with only 60% of them gone I really notice a diffrence.

I would have more like 90%, which is my goal because 100% is impossible if you ask me, but a few of my coral seem to react bad. Since using everyother day, treating between 6-10 depending on size, my bubble and a few acros dosnt seem to be doing quite as well. So I cut back a bit. Will be aiming for the rest tomrw, then everyother day past then.

Thanks again for the well used advice.

Back
Top Bottom