any problems with pistol shrimp sifting too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just as the title says, is there any potential problems with pistol shrimp sifting through the sand too much? I'm wondering because i've read how sand sifting gobies will sift through the sand too much and ruin your DSB and pod population because of their feroucious appetites.

With the size of your tank, and the amount of rock you have, and also a fuge I would say it would take a lot more than a shrimp to knock out your pod population. Sorry for the run-on sentence but it is Friday and I am not fixing it. :twisted:

Pistol shrimp will not consume the micro-fauna in your sand bed like a sand sifting goby would. However, if it is a new addition to the tank and the sand bed has been in place and undisturbed for awhile there is a possibility it could disrupt a sulphur pocket or stir up some other nasty things. Watch the tank closely. Running GAC is always a good idea if your not already. FWIW my pistol goes on digging sprees every few months that usually last a day or two. They are very good at keeping your sand bed stirred. HTH

Back
Top Bottom