any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keu131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there!!

i am at the point with my salt water tank that i am today putting in a couple of little test subject fishies to see how they go! hopefully they will be fine and i can move on to some more expansive species.
we are looking to create a friendly easy going colorful fish community in our tank..
we know we want some clown fish.. i also really like angelfish and tangs.. i was wondering if any body had any good on line site suggestions for either researching or buy fish... our local fish store should be able to get their hands on anything we want.. i mostly want to be able to research nice n hard to find the perfect fish for us!!

thanks so much for your help!

You dont need to test your fish out. If your test kits say you have cycled then do a good size PWC and you`ll be OK.

Hey Keu. Glad to hear your ready for fish. :) How bigs your tank? We can help with suggestions for colourful and quirky fish.
Where are you in Aus BTW?

melosu58.. sorry i am not up with all the lingo yet PWC???

my tank is 200 ltrs i am in mildura Victoria... not sure if u will know where that is its a bit of a small town! :p
any suggestions would be great! one breed i have been looking into is the Mandarin Dragonet (Synchiropus splenididus) its a type of Gobie
and i am a finding nemo fan so i also love the idea of clown fish, Blue hippo tang, and longnose butterfly... havent done much looking into weather they can all live together yet or not.. i was just having a sticky beak on the net last night and they all caught my eye! :D

Well you are off to a bad start, first off Mandarins need a mature tank with lots of liverock so that lots of copepods can grow because that's all they eat unless you are willing to take the time and are lucky enough to make one eat prepared foods. Second is the fact that Tangs need lots of swimming room. Third and formost is that angels are highly territorial as is most saltwater fish. That said you must be commended to wanting to research the fishes you want before and not after you buy them. There are lots of beautiful and less territorial fishes out there and someone else will key you into them.

these are guides, but not to be taken as law. after reading about them on different websites, ask people who have owned them what their experiences are with each fish you are considering. i have noticed some of the more popular online livestock vendors have simply copied and pasted info about fish and coral from other websites. some information is completely wrong also.

here is a perfect example:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+322+489&pcatid=489

Yes that site is maintained and coordinated by our very own Mike.
Thank you Mike for all your hard work on that database.
fishbowl.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I know where it is. :) I gree with the others also. Mandarins are a bad idea in new tanks. Wait at least a year for a Mandarin. Go for a pair of mated clownfish. They are a great addition.

Also, for all you American's, 200L=59G approx.

You can house Tangs (eg Dory, Blue Tang, or Bubbles, Yellow Tang) in tanks that small. Sorry. :(
It's also a bit too small for a Butterfly fish.

Back
Top Bottom