Any way to bring down temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegasgungirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 60 gallon reef set up. Between the power heads the protein skimmer and lights I can't get the temp down. I don't have cash to invest in a chiller right now. I am getting a brown algae outbreak and feeling frustrated. Lost my bicolor angel this morning and sure don't want any more loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also any tips on how to keep a true percula clown from hosting my frog spawn. Ugh little bugger wont leave it alone.

Thanks.

Fill a bag with water and freeze it overnight, drop it in the tank whenever it starts to get too hot. I would do it with RO water to be on the safe side.

yes a 10$ clip on fan, 2 if you have a sump, 1 in sump and 1 on main, $100 temoreture control can be your best friend.

Nu suggested a frozen bag of water. I use frozen plastic bottles of water - just easier to handle in my opinion. When one is fully melted I'll put in another if needed. I keep 3 in the freezer. Also heard the suggestion to use RO water for this, just in case it leaks.

- D

Exactly how high is your temp getting? If its so hot it killed your fish then i would say ice or fans will not be enough. And ice really isnt feasible on a daily basis.

What lighting are you using? Also what isthe house temp. If your house is reaching 80 degrees + then its only making the problem worse. Keeping the house temp steady will help keep the tank temp steady.

I run a 150w metal halide on a 29g tank. With the house maintained under 76 F my tank temp will never climb above 79.0 degrees F. No fans, no chiller.

I run a clip on fan now I maintain 79*
one week this summer I was running 4 fans and 2 Ice bottles to maintain a steady 81* with lights off but those days it hit 104* outside almost lost my whole tank it went up to like 86* one day lost 3 corals 1 fish
now I have a ceiling fan in my fish room along with small clip on and it stays at 79* (No ac here)

Back
Top Bottom