Anybody drill their own glass tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know acrylic is very easy but as for glass, has anybody drilled their own glass tank? Techniques, links? TIA.

i havent but knowing glass and having drilling acrylic...i wouldnt attemp it without the propertools....
they dont drill glass...they cut it....scor it...drilling it will crack it in a heartbeat

my suggestion is to call around to see if a local glass cutter can give you info on this

Yes, I understand that it will essentially grind a circle through. Just wondering if anybody has done this successfully. What brand cutter was used, approx. feed rate, etc.

Runway,
I bought a skimmer from this company and they have a lot of stuff on custom work.

Here is one on the bits they sell:
http://www.wetdryfilter.com/drilling_holes.htm

Somewhere, I think they have a DIY section that discusses the process for doing it.

Especially be careful on the underside, because that glass is tempered...

Best of luck,
David

I have messed with drilling scrap pieces before and in the end I took it to a shop that did it. Save yourself the headache and possibly replacing part of your tank.

Thanks, David. I found the same site just after posting the question. Yeah, considering I need at least two different sizes, I'll likely just order up my bulkhead holes pre cut.

Especially be careful on the underside, because that glass is tempered...

You can drill tempered glass but i would not recommend doing it at all unless its done at the manufacture before the glass is heated for strength... That guy on that site only charges $30 for a hole thats not bad at all.

I've drilled 1/2 in. holes before. Go very, very slow and keep it moist. I was drilling the bottom of a tank for a refugium, and just kept a 1/4 in. of water in it while I was drilling. I've heard oil works well too.

Back
Top Bottom