Anybody know of a good plan for a closed loop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking about doing one for my 155g reef. I've only got about a 6.5x turnover with my main return pump. Looking to do one to bring it up to about 15x or so. Really don't think I'm doing powerheads this time around to supplement.

I made my own. The one on melevs reef will not handle the flow you need. I made my intake out of 2" PVC. I cut every 1/4" using a table saw, and set the depth of the cuts to leave about 3/4 inch between to hold it together. I clamped a piece of wood to the pipe to keep it from rolling so the cuts would be uniform. The rest of it is just standard pumping setting the returns where you want them etc.

this site might help you out a bit on your adventure with a closed loop system.
... http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html heres the pics
The one he demonstrates is small, but the basics are the same. SCWD's can handle upto 1800(EDIT- upto 1400 GPH), the down side is they only have 3/4" inlet/outlets at this time. Reducing the plumbing could be cumbersome but, I have to say, I LOVE my SCWD! The best 40 bucks I've spent on this hobby in a long time. Good luck.

thanks mt79, im upgrading and have been thinking of doing that from melevsreef.com, only working it around my new 55. glad to know i can make it custom to my tank, i was thinking i could, i just didnt know about the wavemaker....... good luck austinsdad!

A 3/4" inch pipe running at 50 PSI will only deliver 12 GPM/720 GPH. How are you getting 1800 GPH through a 3/4 inch opening?

Brenden said:
3/4" inch pipe running at 50 PSI will only deliver 12 GPM/720 GPH. How are you getting 1800 GPH through a 3/4 inch opening?
You reduce the plumbing only at the SCWD to limit restriction.
I said:
SCWD's can handle upto 1800(EDIT- upto 1400 GPH),
I said "handle". Meaning above that level GPH, the pressure would be too much for the device (per the manufacturers ratings). It will obviously cause back pressure, but perform well IMO/IME.

FWIW, there was a rumor going around about new models w/ larger diameter inlet/outlets... We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom