Anybody mix firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meganinez

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-2091756314.jpg

Had two of these guys but one disappeared two days after I got him. Was gonna get another one but was thinking of getting the two other kinds of fire fish to put in with him. Thought? Does it matter? Would he just be happier with another purple one?

How big is the tank? If the tank is at least 55 gallons and has multiple hiding places it might work.

I have 1 purple and 2 regular firefish, the purple fire goby is slightly aggressive torwards the two other fire gobys but not bad, but they will not pair up like ones of the same color do, they know they are different.

Btw I love the purple fire goby one of my fav fish, id like one of the helfrichi fire gobys but they are kinda costly

Saratj1 said:
I have 1 purple and 2 regular firefish, the purple fire goby is slightly aggressive torwards the two other fire gobys but not bad, but they will not pair up like ones of the same color do, they know they are different.

Btw I love the purple fire goby one of my fav fish, id like one of the helfrichi fire gobys but they are kinda costly

I have one each and the purple is the bully. Nothing serious, just chases him away if he gets to close.

I agree with beta, tank size will be key. Unless you've got a 6' tank, I wouldn't try all three types. With 55g or larger two types would work, just introduce the new one(s) on the opposite end of the tank as the existing one(s) hiding hole.
Since Firefish don't stray far from their hiding spot, and immediately bolt into a hole, upon introduction, you can almost choose where they will reside by where you introduce them to the tank.
I had 2 regulars in tank, got a great deal on 2 purples, and when introduced in the opposite corner, immediately picked a spot on that side of the tank. Tank was a 5', 135g. They did fine, living on their respective sides of the tank. Normally Firefish won't stray more than 2' from their hideout.

I had one purple and one orange firefish and they never fought. In fact on several occasions they would hang out in the same hole together.

Keithhjs said:
I had one purple and one orange firefish and they never fought. In fact on several occasions they would hang out in the same hole together.

That's cool I wish mine were like that, I hoped they would get along with one another, but I ended up just getting another red fire goby , when I get my other tank going I may get another purple fire goby and put that pair in my 135g.

Back
Top Bottom