Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody use bottom returns on their tanks?

Considering adding a couple of returns on the bottom of a new 120 gal I'm having drilled. You know, through the tank floor, pointing up.

I'll have a closed loop system with two returns on top and was considering adding two more through the floor to take out dead spots. Suggestions? Thanks all!

55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Many glass tanks have tempered bottoms and cannot be drilled. You can do this with acrylic tanks. I know someone setting up a coral prop tank in this manner.

There are some things to consider. Namely don't go cheap on the bulkheads. If you were to have a failure on one of them, your entire tank is going to empty. That's why when holes are drilled on the bottom, they are usually incorporated into an overflow. That way only the water in the overflow leaks out.
MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

bottom, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search