Anybody using PC/HQI/LED setups on small tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am still on the fence about upgrading my PC lighting on my tank but these setups keep catching my eyes. I know current sells a model called the outer orbit and Aqualight has one as well. Just curious if anyone else is running this setup already or if anyone has any feedback on good setups. Thanks Guys :D

.....still looking and now I found this setup
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=308
for A LOT cheaper. Hopefully someone can help sway me one way or another!!!!!

What size tank?

I would stay away from Odyssea if you can...If it is a small tank and you want to upgrade to MH, you can do a retro kit for 1 single 150/175/250 pendant for under $190.

Interested in something like that? Something like a 14K bulb and it will look blue enough with no acintic supplementation.

Or a complete pendant will still be alot cheaper and you will get that great MH shimmer!

What do you plan on keeping for the upgrade?

Looking to eventually get into keeping clams. The tank is a 29 gallon bowfront but I have enough rock to position accordingly on the rock ledges. More than anything the use of the three different types of lights was intriging to me and I am very interested in the 24 hour lighting with the LEDS. As far as my current setup, I cant do the pendant so I am more or less stuck with the top mounted models.

Ok, well I like the look of LED's to but just so you know what you are buying they do not add any benefit for the corals, they are purely for enjoyment purpose.

The reason PC's/T5/VHO is incorporated into a MH is to add acintic supplementation if you use white bulbs.

Being that said the reason I recommended pendants was purely because you can save a ton of cash and have a great MH setup with a nice blue tint. You can rest a pendant right on wood above a tank if needed.

As far as all in one fixtures, there is nothing wrong with them at all, just very expensive with the same results.

Thanks for the heads up! Ive actually been revisiting some old forums to build a hood for a pendant. Hopefully I can get that to work! If I can ge the same results for less than im all for it

That is what I did. Well actually originally I spent a ton of cash only to realize I could have gotten the same results a lot cheaper.

I dont know if you can do this, but pendants can also be hung from the ceiling, actually they are meant to!

For a 29 you do not need alot. In fact 1 150 would probably do it!

This is the one I have on my frag tank and it has been awesome. Add 1 14K Phoenix bulb and you no longer need acintics as it is a nice blue look. You could go a higher wattage but heat becomes an issue and this is less electric cost. I actually have this one sitting on wood. This is s retro kit so building in a hood is what it is designed for but the second link is a little more, still less than your original option and can hang

http://www.hellolights.com/15hlmhrekith.html

http://www.hellolights.com/15pfomipe.html

Back
Top Bottom