Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone else experience this

Well today our feather duster has decided to expand out, from what I have read they do this and some times break off and another part of the worm stays inside the tube. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, would love to hear from you about the outcome.

Here's a pic of wha's going on.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, how long is it usually when it comes out? And how long is that right there?

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the tube itself I would say is about 5 to 6 inches, this is the first time the worm itself has ever come out of the tube, I'm not sure how far he can stretch, but right now I'd say he's about 2 to 3 inches out of the tube and still working on getting further out, I'm not sure what is going on inside the tube but it is very interesting to watch him move out. This is the first time we've ever experienced this, we have more fun with this, always something new happening! :P
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had a feather duster loose the whole feather that comes out of the tube. It took a couple of weeks before it grew i new one.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to shawnmarnie Send a message via MSN to shawnmarnie Send a message via Yahoo to shawnmarnie
Well I have had this happen 2x and both with different outcomes first time head dropped off and worm came out but went back in disappeared for a while and grew new head. Second time dropped head off and came out of tube and died so could go either way i guess hopefully it goes well.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:49 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think, that is too cool
I have three giant feather dusters and none has exhibited this behaviour. ...

How do these things reproduce, if anyone knows?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From what I've read they can split to reproduce, but I'm not sure that is what is happening here, he ended up coming all the way out and was curled up in the opposite site of the tank in the corner, as of this morning I can't find him, I figure he is one either dead, or two growing a new tube somewhere he won't be bothered by the blue hermits that liked to climb on his tube and then it would crimp it. I think after he went through the picking on by the blenny in the other tank, then the losing of the crown and regrowing it the hermit was the last straw. The old tube is freaky, you can see down inside it and parts of it are transparent from where he was picked on previously and where the hermits were picking too.

I hope he pops up sometime soon, miss seeing him they are soo cool and beautiful.

Let ya know if he comes back out and hopefully get a pic. Never a dull moment!
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to shawnmarnie Send a message via MSN to shawnmarnie Send a message via Yahoo to shawnmarnie
Ya probably lost him this happened to me like i said usually if they actually come all the way out they die but they can drop off their head and grow a new one no problem. And as far as reproducing i dont think it has anything to do with splitting cause i have the buggers just grow on my tank all over se a new one every couple of weeks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com