Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone else have this happen to them? and what will help?

i reach in to the tank and bump into the polyps all the time and nothing happens, but a few days ago my wife bumped into them and this is what happened to her... anybody else have this problem?? and what can she do to help it? (sorry im not even sure if that is what they are called) here is a pic of them, and wiffeys arm.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford84
i reach in to the tank and bump into the polyps all the time and nothing happens, but a few days ago my wife bumped into them and this is what happened to her... anybody else have this problem?? and what can she do to help it? (sorry im not even sure if that is what they are called) here is a pic of them, and wiffeys arm.
I think she is having an allergic reaction.The zoo's give off a substance that can be toxic to some people.That is why if you ever take them out of the tank to frag or mess with them they say to wear gloves and eye protection.I read a good article about them and the reaction they can cause,but sorry can't remember where.
She might want to try taking some Benadryl.
Plug in Zoanthids bad reaction in your browser and you will find some sites to check it out.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
palytoxin is toxic to most people.
Palytoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My wife and I were advanced divers and were in accidental contact with stuff like fire coral, back when we didn't wear protective skins like they all do now. I didn't hardly react at all while she looked like she had been hit with poison ivy. Skin thickness and a number of other factors probably gages your reaction, but the point should be, who wants to find out that they are really allergic to the stuff like zoas. Rubber gloves work wonders.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow reading all that about the toxins has got me scared... but they are talking about chest pain and tight breathing, so with her just having the redness on her arm do you think Benadryl will be ok?? or is this an emergency thing?

and i think im gonna sell that rock full of polyps.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i wouldn't be too concerned about the paly toxin except for when you touch them. i also think that looks like a scratch. whenever i put my hands in the tank with a cut my cuts tend to take a lot longer to heal and get swollen and red, just like the pic. do you think she could have scratched her arm on the rock?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, she could have scrached it on the rock.. that would make more sence to me. i thought that you would be safe around polyps unless you had an open cut.

that rock is a little bigger then a football and covered with the polyps, how much do you think it is worth if i wanted to sell in on my local reef forum?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It would itch like crazy if it was a coral sting. I think MrX is right, it is just a scrape. But you are more likely to feel a sting there on the forearm where the skin is thinner than on the fingers and hand.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My long spine urchine stuck me in my finger right at the joint. I have to have surgery to have it removed. I guess we should wear gloves.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You bet it hurts, I stepped on one years back. I had a friend that got stuck by his Lion Fish. It didn't kill him, but he wished he was dead. Some of these creatures pack quite a punch.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com