anyone else have this happen to them? and what will help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
i reach in to the tank and bump into the polyps all the time and nothing happens, but a few days ago my wife bumped into them and this is what happened to her... anybody else have this problem?? and what can she do to help it? (sorry im not even sure if that is what they are called) here is a pic of them, and wiffeys arm.
img_1543009_0_d5b577849d77e40f77ccb62c020c25ca.jpg

img_1543009_1_c064619b605e8b54e6889d8300fc8cac.jpg

bigford84 said:
i reach in to the tank and bump into the polyps all the time and nothing happens, but a few days ago my wife bumped into them and this is what happened to her... anybody else have this problem?? and what can she do to help it? (sorry im not even sure if that is what they are called) here is a pic of them, and wiffeys arm.

I think she is having an allergic reaction.The zoo's give off a substance that can be toxic to some people.That is why if you ever take them out of the tank to frag or mess with them they say to wear gloves and eye protection.I read a good article about them and the reaction they can cause,but sorry can't remember where.
She might want to try taking some Benadryl.
Plug in Zoanthids bad reaction in your browser and you will find some sites to check it out.

My wife and I were advanced divers and were in accidental contact with stuff like fire coral, back when we didn't wear protective skins like they all do now. I didn't hardly react at all while she looked like she had been hit with poison ivy. Skin thickness and a number of other factors probably gages your reaction, but the point should be, who wants to find out that they are really allergic to the stuff like zoas. Rubber gloves work wonders.

wow reading all that about the toxins has got me scared... but they are talking about chest pain and tight breathing, so with her just having the redness on her arm do you think Benadryl will be ok?? or is this an emergency thing?

and i think im gonna sell that rock full of polyps.

i wouldn't be too concerned about the paly toxin except for when you touch them. i also think that looks like a scratch. whenever i put my hands in the tank with a cut my cuts tend to take a lot longer to heal and get swollen and red, just like the pic. do you think she could have scratched her arm on the rock?

yeah, she could have scrached it on the rock.. that would make more sence to me. i thought that you would be safe around polyps unless you had an open cut.

that rock is a little bigger then a football and covered with the polyps, how much do you think it is worth if i wanted to sell in on my local reef forum?

It would itch like crazy if it was a coral sting. I think MrX is right, it is just a scrape. But you are more likely to feel a sting there on the forearm where the skin is thinner than on the fingers and hand.

My long spine urchine stuck me in my finger right at the joint. I have to have surgery to have it removed. I guess we should wear gloves.

You bet it hurts, I stepped on one years back. I had a friend that got stuck by his Lion Fish. It didn't kill him, but he wished he was dead. Some of these creatures pack quite a punch.

Back
Top Bottom