Anyone else love their clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricksreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone else love their clam.My Derasa has doubled in size in since I got it a few months ago.

Attachments

• image-1985875860.jpg
    image-1985875860.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 183
Thats awesome! I don't have one at the moment but will if this ebay auction works out. You have any others?

you know i've never really seen a clam in real life till last week when i went to my LFS and i looked in one of their display reefs. they are alot bigger then i expected, this one was like 8" when i expected them to get to about 3" lol

Bige said:
Thats awesome! I don't have one at the moment but will if this ebay auction works out. You have any others?

Only the one at the moment,but I want a blue when I can afford.Just got a new light fixture,so I have had to cut back lately to keep peace in the family.LOL

Gregcoyote said:
Some of these species can get really big. And they suck down calcium like a sponge.

My calcium stays basically stable with the every other week PWC with Instant Ocean reef crystals but I do have to dose Alk every other day.I have mixed reef with some SPS,so I think that is part of it.

Gti_Leo said:
what kind of lighting did you get?

48 inch with 2 x 250 watt MH with four 54 watt T-5 actinic's,LEDs with dimmer switch, and two fans.Had it built by Catalina Aquarium.Fixture comes with 1 year warranty and the two MH ballasts come with a five year warranty,which I really love.

you know i've never really seen a clam in real life till last week when i went to my LFS and i looked in one of their display reefs. they are alot bigger then i expected, this one was like 8" when i expected them to get to about 3" lol

One of the LFS bye has a crocea (I think) that's about 15" wide and 24" long. A lot of people overlook it and assume it's a rock with some coral on it.

Gti_Leo said:
holy thats a big fixture, what size is your tank?

Just standard size for a 75 gallon tank.Fixture is 11 inches wide,48 inches long,legs put it 7 inches above tank and the fan on one end pulls air in and through the fixture while the fan on the other end pulls the air out.My tank temperature only goes up 1 degree a day with the MH and actinic's on.

I have a derasa right now but my favorite was my Squamosa clam. He lived a little more than 4 yrs.

009.jpg

My friend has a maxima that is 25 years old and is 24" long and about 18" tall. It lives in a 120 gallon tank and takes up the entire middle section. Next time I go to their house, I take a pic.

Bige said:
My friend has a maxima that is 25 years old and is 24" long and about 18" tall. It lives in a 120 gallon tank and takes up the entire middle section. Next time I go to their house, I take a pic.

That sounds crazy deff want to see it

Warm up the Clam Cam and get us a picture of this bad boy, hopefully with something of scale next to it.
I love big clams and this sounds like a deuzie.

Back
Top Bottom