Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Crab
I slept on it and decided to forge on. Life itself is a gamble and I can get struck by lightning tomorrow.

Gonna get that Visi-Therm Stealth on sale at DRF&S.

I need a protein skimmer for a 20g tank. Are they all basically the same except for price? All it really does is mix water with filtered air, creating a froth of bubbles for gas exchange, right? GARF says get this one. Whataya think?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Pure Junk.

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah, that skimmer ain't all that great.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

neilster1--thanks for that! Great info and something to remember. Is the skimmer junk because of it's built quality or because it dosen't skim protien? I am only a beginner here...

Just tested my water. Ammonia finally breaking. Had traces of Nitrite! Won't be long now.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

GoodCrab, as with any other electrical or mechanical thing you purchase, you get what you pay for. That skimmer is very cheap, and will be cheaply made, and will give you a poor end result. There are a lot of skimmers rated for large aquariums, but it is the brand name and the quality of the product to look for, not just the skimmer's 'capacity.' That having been said, putting a AquaC Remora (a forum favorite) on a 20-gallon might be a little overkill...

Neilster, I fully understand what you are saying, but in order for you to get a jolt of 110 V at 15 to 20 amps, you'd have to be sticking your finger into the socket...That 25 W heater even at 110 volts should only be drawing about 0.227 amps. A device should pull only what it needs, not the full electrical capacity of the outlet. I completely agree caution around electricity is absolutely necessary, and if it makes one feel better, they could pull the plug to all electrical equipment before putting their hands in the tank. I was merely pointing out that in this particular situation (not every situation), death was not a high probability.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

true, but all bets are off when water gets in the enclosure. If the cord or sseal is compromised that's the point where you will have the problem, not the heating element. anything can happen and I don't want anyone to make the assumption that they are safe if the heater has a low wattage.

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Neilster, I fully understand what you are saying, but in order for you to get a jolt of 110 V at 15 to 20 amps, you'd have to be sticking your finger into the socket...That 25 W heater even at 110 volts should only be drawing about 0.227 amps. A device should pull only what it needs, not the full electrical capacity of the outlet. I completely agree caution around electricity is absolutely necessary, and if it makes one feel better, they could pull the plug to all electrical equipment before putting their hands in the tank. I was merely pointing out that in this particular situation (not every situation), death was not a high probability.
Thought I'd jump in here! If you stick your hand into saltwater with exposed live terminals (which was the case here) the electricity uses you as its path to earth (Ground as you yanks say!). It doesn't matter what the appliance is rated at, as much electricity as possible will go through YOU to earth (i.e. 15A or 30A here in the UK).

This is not to say that working with electricity and water is unsafe. Provided you observe the rules. The most important (which I've never actually seen posted on any aquarium forums) is 'one hand working'. Only have one hand in the tank at any one time. Reason for this is that an electricity takes the shortest path to earth. If you're one hand working the electricity goes down the side of your body and out at your feet (might cause a burn or something, but nothing major). If you've got both hands in there, the electricity will take multiple paths through your body (including your vital organs) to find its way out.

I've been working everyday on LIVE (not isolated in most cases) electrics for around 15 years. This is the single most important rule.

Phil

Occupants - Currently re-cycling tank....will be adding 3 Chromis once cycled
philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com