Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to clinto
Anyone ever heard of a Sea Pansy?

I was checking out my local tide pools and found these polyp looking fleshy animals that were filter feeding under the sand. I found out that they are called sea pansys. Does anyone have these in a tank or heard of anyone putting them in a tank? Apparently they are bioluminescent and glow at night when disturbed. Id appreciate any input.

clinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Very cool critters, but not for the average aquarium. Notice I typed aquarium, not aquarist!
They require insane amounts of particulate foods. They have photosynthetic qualities, but rely on food capture for most of their sustenance. Well established refugiums can house them for a while, but without frequent daily dosings of phytoplankton and the like, they inevitably starve to death. Most aquariums cannot handle the abusive amount of foods the Renila reniformis demands.

Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
They are in the same phylum as Jellyfish. I could not find much about them

SEA PANSY (Renilla kollikeri)
These colonial animals are common on sand flats from Santa Barbara to Baja California. Sea pansies are purple in color with a heart-shaped body and a fleshy stalk that extends downward into the sand to hold it in place. Moving about a great deal, they mainly feed on microzooplankton. When disturbed or attacked, they produce waves of blue/green light across their body called bioluminescence. They are preyed upon by nudibranchs and sea stars.
Courtesy of:http://www.cabrilloaq.org/critter1.html
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com