Anyone ever heard of a Sea Pansy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clinto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was checking out my local tide pools and found these polyp looking fleshy animals that were filter feeding under the sand. I found out that they are called sea pansys. Does anyone have these in a tank or heard of anyone putting them in a tank? Apparently they are bioluminescent and glow at night when disturbed. Id appreciate any input.

Very cool critters, but not for the average aquarium. Notice I typed aquarium, not aquarist!
They require insane amounts of particulate foods. They have photosynthetic qualities, but rely on food capture for most of their sustenance. Well established refugiums can house them for a while, but without frequent daily dosings of phytoplankton and the like, they inevitably starve to death. Most aquariums cannot handle the abusive amount of foods the Renila reniformis demands.

They are in the same phylum as Jellyfish. I could not find much about them

SEA PANSY (Renilla kollikeri)
These colonial animals are common on sand flats from Santa Barbara to Baja California. Sea pansies are purple in color with a heart-shaped body and a fleshy stalk that extends downward into the sand to hold it in place. Moving about a great deal, they mainly feed on microzooplankton. When disturbed or attacked, they produce waves of blue/green light across their body called bioluminescence. They are preyed upon by nudibranchs and sea stars.
Courtesy of:http://www.cabrilloaq.org/critter1.html

Back
Top Bottom