Anyone ever keep jellyfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS has a couple of Blue Jellyfish, I'm not really thinking of getting one. I'm just curious if anyone has sucessfully kept one. They don't look like they could handle the currents in a full blown reef tank.

If I'm not mistaken... they need alot more current then most reef tanks have. Which is why their not to common in household tanks.

I could be wrong tho.

They need a lot of current becuase they filter feed, but at the same time they need a tank where the can't bump into things and be damaged. The ideal tank is a rotating cylinder with a circular current to keep them from hitting the wall. This is how these creatures are kept on research vessels sometimes.

I had one in my pond for about 3 seconds before he went straight to the pump.

I saw them at That Pet Place today, it is honestly really disappointing as I have little doubt they will all be dead in a short period of time. One is already stuck to a powerhead.

As mentioned, they are difficult to provide an environment for in a tank. They need current for food, but at the same time are not designed to swim in heavy currents. I don't see how they could be fit into 99% of home aquaria, but would rather need a species tank as mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom