Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone ever kept a SOHAL TANG??

I've been doing my research on a couple of good tankmates for my Vloitans Lion and Miniatus Grouper.. originally thought a Rectangular Trigger.. but was scared of my lion becoming a chew toy. So now I am looking at Tangs. The Sohal Tang keeps coming up as a good tang for predator tanks.. hardy, aggressive, ect. However.. things get a bit more conflicted and confusing when discussing whether they should even be kept in home aquaria. Bob Fenner (The Concientious Aquarist) in his article says they max out in home aquaria at 8".. an excellent aquarium specimen provided you have room for the fish to swim around and don't house any other tangs in the tank... but then goes on to say in the FAQ section of the same website that they get to be 2 feet long and should NEVER be kept in home aquaria.. people online give minimum tank sizes for this fish with a range of 75 gallons to 300 gallons... I would really like this fish in my tank.. but with this much confusion.. I'm not sure.. maybe I should settle for a Regal Tang instead??? Anyone out there who has experience with these fish??

Bassoonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I do know a few things about them that I learned from my LFS. As the owner has sold some to his customers and got their views. He recommends at least 100 gallons for them to be comfortable. He said they are very hardy (maybe even hardier than the yellow tang). They are very aggressive towards other tangs. They get better color the larger they get. However they are very pricey. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Im not sure of your tank size but if it is large I think it would go great with the two fish you have.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com