Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone ever tried this?

Well to make a long story short, I am having to vacate my 30 gal sw so my daughter can have it back as a fw. While placing the lr from it into my other tanks I was really upset that the rocks just seem to sink into the sand and the pvc "stands" I made just didn't seem to fit the rock right. So I took a piece of leftover egg crate and slid it into the sand about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. and placed my rock on it. Seems to make the rock more stable, as long as I don't have something uncovering it all the time I think it will work out better than the pvc idea. It will be the end of next week before I get my stand back so if this works I think I'll cover the whole bottom of the 125 with it.

Any problems I sould be aware of?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The biggest thing I would be concerend with would be anarobic areas in the sand where sulfer and other gases can collect.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so it's not a good idea? I didn't think it would be a bad idea since no one said my pvc pipe thing was a bad idea.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-17-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
With the pVC you would be adding the PVC before the sand right? Thus the insides of the PVC would not contain sand. You could also drill holes in the PVC sides to pemit sandsifters to go in and around the PVC. The net surface area will also be smaller for the PVC than the eggcrate.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, I cut the pvc and stood it up and it's full of sand.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I cut the egg crate just large enough to fit under the rock would it still cause a problem?

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com