Anyone ever tried this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well to make a long story short, I am having to vacate my 30 gal sw so my daughter can have it back as a fw. While placing the lr from it into my other tanks I was really upset that the rocks just seem to sink into the sand and the pvc "stands" I made just didn't seem to fit the rock right. So I took a piece of leftover egg crate and slid it into the sand about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. and placed my rock on it. Seems to make the rock more stable, as long as I don't have something uncovering it all the time I think it will work out better than the pvc idea. It will be the end of next week before I get my stand back so if this works I think I'll cover the whole bottom of the 125 with it.

Any problems I sould be aware of?

The biggest thing I would be concerend with would be anarobic areas in the sand where sulfer and other gases can collect.

Ok so it's not a good idea? I didn't think it would be a bad idea since no one said my pvc pipe thing was a bad idea.

With the pVC you would be adding the PVC before the sand right? Thus the insides of the PVC would not contain sand. You could also drill holes in the PVC sides to pemit sandsifters to go in and around the PVC. The net surface area will also be smaller for the PVC than the eggcrate.

If I cut the egg crate just large enough to fit under the rock would it still cause a problem?

Back
Top Bottom