anyone experienced with buying live rock online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brett7768

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
anyone buy live rock over the internet? if yes where, and are you happy with the quality? im going to start a 65 gal. reef tank and im looking to get about 70-100 #s of lr. i found some cheap stuff on www.fishsupply.com but id like to know if anyone has dealt with them. i dont wanna drop a couple hundred and get crappy lifeless rock.
this prob is no the place for this post but the site isnt letting me post anywhere else.

not sure if you know yet but liverocks.com was probalby the favorite place to get LR period on this forum until the hurricanes wiped them out this summer. They aren't going to be open for quite some time last time i checked. So people have been ordering from other places like floridaliverock.com. You might want to do a search and find out what people have been saying about the LR orders they've made in the last 2 months since the hurricanes.

I got lucky and got one of the last shippment from LR.com. But i've also read posts lately where people have been very happy with LR they've gotten elsewhere in recent months. Good Luck finding your rock.

also, not sure if you thought about it or not, but you could order just 40lbs of LR to seed 60lbs of base rock. That way you'd save some cash and still have the 100lbs of rock which would eventually become totally LR.

As with anyplace you would order live rock please make sure that your aware of the shipping charges as this can have a fairly significant impact on overall cost. Also live rock should never be shipped any slower than 2ed day air and never be in transport over a weekend. Standard overnight is best with LR.

We have a great article in our articles area on how to cure live rock. The curing will need to be done regardless if you purchase precured live rock or non cured live rock as the shipping process will cause some level of dieoff. In addition you could use the LR to cycle the new tank.

I would normally recommend www.liverocks.com but I belive they have some issues as over the summer a 'red tide' affected alot of their collecting grounds. Other resources to look at are www.tampabaysaltwater.com, www.liveaquaria.com and www.etropicals.com The Fiji rock will most likly always be from the same source, WaltSmith as he is the primary exporter of fiji rock. The florida rock often arrives with more visual life on it simply because its in transport for less time than the fiji rock.

The fiji rock at liveaquaria is good rock. I also have some Marshall Island rock that I got from LFS. I would say go with Liveaquaria.

liverocks.com is by far the best. I have purchased corals from fishsupply.com and was very happy. There rock may be a different story though?

thanks for the info, id like to buy at the lfs but they want 10$ per#, so im gonna keep looking for people who have ordered online and been satisfied.

You could defdinitely get cheaper online. That guy has to make a profit. and he is.

I just bought two shipments of 88 lbs of live rock from http://www.reefermadness.us/ . Great Stuff! Shipping is included in their price, so there are no hidden charges. I bought some Kaelini and Pukani....equals out to around 4.50 to 5.00 a pound.

Incredible shapes and sizes.

i got a great deal on nice fiji rock its really decent quality i payed 79 dollars thast including shipping for 25 lbs

I ordered some rock from Gulf-view. $186 shipped 30lbs. I was pleased with it. Had a nice amount of critters and nice purple coraline. I don't have nothing to compare it to but the liverock sold locally. And the local liverock doesn't cut it.

buvaren said:
I just bought two shipments of 88 lbs of live rock from http://www.reefermadness.us/ . Great Stuff! Shipping is included in their price, so there are no hidden charges. I bought some Kaelini and Pukani....equals out to around 4.50 to 5.00 a pound.

Incredible shapes and sizes.

Do you have any pics??? :D

Back
Top Bottom